Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-roofing cost for cottage

Options
  • 10-11-2016 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any advice that can be given. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a cottage. It's a 2 up 2 down with extension to rear. It comes with the usual problems that need remedied condensation / possible damp / lack of ventilation / lack of insulation etc all of which we knew would have to be addressed. Only issue is the Surveyors report has now indicated an issue with the roof. His recommendation following the survey are as follows.....

- Slate roof with the main item to note is that the original roof has been retained with batons and plasterwork and no roofing felt provided. From a further inspection, there is some movement obvious especially noticeable at the apex to the left hand side looking from the front. Further investigation should be carried out and in my opinion remedial work is required to the roof timbers with the possibility of re-slating the roof to incorporate roofing felt with the existing roof timbers strengthened and any damaged timbers replaced.

Would anyone with roofing experience be able to give me some idea of the cost of re roofing a standard 2 up 2 down cottage, to include for the strengthening of existing timbers, felt and new slate roof? The extension to rear has a new roof so it would just be the roof of the original cottage. The footprint of the cottage is approx 25 wide x 25 long.

We will of course be getting 3 local builders to price the job but that is obviously going to take a while to organise. We were just hoping to get some sort of ball park to see what we could be looking at....even a cost range would be helpful...€5,000 to €7,500 or > €15,000 etc

We are complete noobies regarding building works but we just need to see what kind of costs we could be looking at and I understand that it could be like how long is a piece of string but any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

Hey. Im in the same boat as you. Can I ask did you get any quotes yet??

Thanks in advance

W

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dece.ger

It's hard too price without seeing it but you would do a lot with 10k.

Advertisement