Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can You Go in One Day

Options
  • 09-11-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I've got some time off work soon and was thinking of jumping on a plane for a day. Either stay out one night or do it all in one day.

Where could I go? Anywhere other than London?

Germany is out too as I'm heading there soon anyway.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Edinburgh/Glasgow/Paris/ (Charles De Gaulle or Orly airport) Manchester/Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

So, to fly out and back in the one day, you have the requirement of a double daily route, out in the morning as early as possible, back as late as possible.

London is of course possible, but how about Spain? A lot of the Spanish routes have an early/late option, typically have good weather, making it easy enough for you to ramble about a bit, are in the Euro (so no money changing) and would be fairly good value.

Shop around a bit, but the likes of Madrid should give you something hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Just by doing a random flip through Ryanair there, the likes of the Spanish cities are available on an early/late option ex Dublin, as is Rome.

The difficulty is that some of the more interesting European cities could easily be a 2 night trip, as there is not a daily service.

You may get some luck by casting a wider net with your airlines too. Don't be afraid to book separate flights on different airlines if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Great idea.

Barcelona is doable. You want a compact city so airport travel time isn't too much of a factor. Ryanair service there from a few airports here and I'm pretty sure from DUB too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I did Helsinki with klm in one day (mileage run). Had about 6 hours over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

You want a shortish flight and a city well connected to the airport.
    Copenhagen maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Brussels would also be an option .
    Ryanair has early flights arriving in at 9.20 am, and back after 6pm for only €20 return on many days.
    Theres a bit of a christmas market yoke, lovely beer, mussels and frites etc.
    Alternatively, theres a train every half hour to Antwerp from the airport, taking a half hour, so it'd be just as managable, as its only a few minutes longer than to get into Brussels city.

Ghent takes and hour, Bruges an hour and a half, so they are beginning to be a wee bit far for the time available, but you could manage them in if you had to.

Advertisement