Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Multiswitch, Possibly to Sky Q

Options
  • 09-11-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I Have a Sky + HD setup and I'm using the two spare LNB outputs to feed two separate sat tuners around the house.
    The LNB arm collapsed over the summer so at the moment I've nothing.
    I'd like to put in a multiswitch setup. Does that mean I need to use a quattro bulb rather than the quad that's there now?

My understanding of Sky Q and multiswitch is that I can get an LNB with two wideband outputs and four normal outputs for the multiswitch. Is there a special multiswitch needed or can I run the widebands down to the SKY Q box and deal with the four normal feeds by running them into a standard multiswitch?

Final question - at the moment, I'm piggybacking a regular TV signal on the sat cables going to the sky box. I presume if I switch to Sky Q, the wideband signal will interfere with this?
    I don't have room to drop any more coax so if this isn't a runner I'll forget about it for now. We'll be moving some time next year and I'll have more options then.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I Have a Sky + HD setup and I'm using the two spare LNB outputs to feed two separate sat tuners around the house.
    The LNB arm collapsed over the summer so at the moment I've nothing.
    I'd like to put in a multiswitch setup. Does that mean I need to use a quattro bulb rather than the quad that's there now?

Quattro LNB compatible multiswitches are the most common but there are quad LNB compatible multiswitches also
    My understanding of Sky Q and multiswitch is that I can get an LNB with two wideband outputs and four normal outputs for the multiswitch.

6 output Hybrid LNB, but as we found out recently any of the outputs can be wideband or legacy as required.
    Is there a special multiswitch needed or can I run the widebands down to the SKY Q box and deal with the four normal feeds by running them into a standard multiswitch?
    There is a SkyQ compatible multiswitch called a dSCR multiswitch, prices start at €250-€300 for a 4 output unit.

This is a suggestion I made earlier with the hybrid LNB and standard multiswitch - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101614733#post101614733, note I haven't used this setup myself.
    Final question - at the moment, I'm piggybacking a regular TV signal on the sat cables going to the sky box. I presume if I switch to Sky Q, the wideband signal will interfere with this?

That's correct, combining a SkyQ feed and Saorview down a single cable isn't possible as the SkyQ wideband IF frequency range conflicts with the terrestrial frequency range.

Advertisement