Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek predicted current American situation

Options
  • 09-11-2016 1:20pm

The Bell Riots occurred in 2024, according to Deep Space 9, which occurred because of the unemployment issues and homelessness.

Donald Trump is elected in 2016, which would coincide with the end of his first term and the beginning of possible issues being started.

... should we thank Donald Trump for the formation of the United Federation of Planets?!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Except they're called the Bell riots... missing an "end" in there somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

The Bell Riots occurred in 2024, according to Deep Space 9, which occurred because of the unemployment issues and homelessness.
    Not so fun fact, the Mayor of Los Angeles was considering making sanctuary districts to deal with the homelessness in the city around the time this episode was broadcast.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I really hope not.

This means we are the ones who end up in World War III and the horrors afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I approve of this, naturally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kind of ties in with what we're discussing a while ago about how 24th century Earth's moneyless society works. Some serious sh*t had to go down first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wasn't there supposed to have been a war by now though?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wasn't there supposed to have been a war by now though?

We've missed the Eugenics Wars for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We're only beginning to look at that now, with some insurance companies wanting your genetic makeup before they'll give you life insurance... I'll give it another 8-10 years before we start using the procedure in soldiers to ensure more efficient war machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

think that was 1992 to 1996

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Didn't Voyager retcon the Eugenic Wars so that they took place later or not at all?

• Advertisement

Didn't Voyager retcon the Eugenic Wars so that they took place later or not at all?

Presumably so, given that they return to LA during the 90s and it looks fine!

the_syco wrote: »
    We're only beginning to look at that now, with some insurance companies wanting your genetic makeup before they'll give you life insurance... I'll give it another 8-10 years before we start using the procedure in soldiers to ensure more efficient war machines.

We don't even have reliable gene therapy for the simplest genetic diseases yet. I think enhancements will be a bit of a wait.

Anyway, who needs people when drone technology is moving so much faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Presumably so, given that they return to LA during the 90s and it looks fine!

With Janice from Friends. No, Sarah Silverman, even worse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

With Janice from Friends.
    I'm pretty sure it was Sarah Silverman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah i managed to edit it as you were typing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The Drumhead was on yesterday. Interesting to see how it relates to the fear and hatemongering of America pre/post their election:

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: .... But the hunt didn't end there. Another man, Mister Simon Tarses, was brought to trial and it was a trial, no matter what others choose to call it. A trial based on insinuation and innuendo. Nothing substantive offered against Mister Tarses, much less proven. Mister Tarses' grandfather is Romulan, and for that reason his career now stands in ruins. Have we become so fearful? Have we become so cowardly that we must extinguish a man because he carries the blood of a current enemy? Admiral, let us not condemn Simon Tarses, or anyone else, because of their bloodlines, or investigate others for their innocent associations.....

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Mister Worf, villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.
    Lieutenant Worf: I think... after yesterday, people will not be so ready to trust her.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Maybe. But she, or someone like her, will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mister Worf - that is the price we have to continually pay.

Advertisement