Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving back to Ireland after 10 years away?

• 08-11-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice from those of you who either live in Ireland or have moved home after living abroad. A bit of background....I left Ireland 10 years ago for 1 year and long story short 10 years later my Irish husband and I are now living in Canada with our 2 year old baby. We have been here for 5 years after living in Dubai for the previous 5 before that.
    We realy love Canada for lots of reasons. The people are friendly, it is extremely multi cultural, we have a good lifestyle and there really is so much to do. Despite some people finding the winters difficult I actually really love them (The summers are hot and sunny and the winters we can go skiing and they have been pretty mild the past 3). Anyway that being said like many people living abroad with young families I have also always felt the pull of returning to Ireland someday and lately it has been playing on my mind more than ever.
    My husband has a very very good job over here but one he doesn't enjoy to the extent that he is considering other options long term. Moving back would mean a step down for him on the career ladder and financially. I am currently studying for a Postgrad and am looking after our baby full time. I hope to start my own business in the near future once I have qualified and I do think Ireland would be a good place to do this. I guess the main negative of living here is having none of our families nearby. To me right now that far outweighs all the positives. My husband does also feel being near family is becoming more important but finds the idea of taking a job with less responsibility (by that I mean he would still be in quite a good position but be over seeing far less people) and taking a financial cut quite difficult to take. We are hoping to have another child in the next 2-3 years (all going well) and the idea of raising two kids so far away from a support network really worries me even though we are both very independent people who have never really relied on anyone else but each other .
    It's hard to put into words but I feel like my heart lies in Ireland. We have been thinking about it for a long time now and I guess I feel if we don't give it a try it is something I will always wonder about in the future. We have competely immersed ourselves in Canadian life and have many non Irish friends but in the same breath I love to listen to Today FM every morning.....We have done all the pros and cons of staying versus going and I think we should give it a shot. One of my biggest concerns is the weather at home. Everytime I go back it just seems to be raining and honestly I hate the rain :) .....We are both from a city in Munster but would be looking to move to Dublin if we did go back.
    Anyway apologies for the long post just wanted to give you an idea of our situation. Has anyone in a similiar situation moved home and anything to share?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I don't think anyone here can make up your mind for you but I think you should consider a few things.

If ye are from Munster but plan to move to Dublin, how much more support will your family actual give you. What kind of support are you looking for?

Would your jobs allow you two to live comfortably in Dublin and send the kids to a good school?

Would your kids have more opportunities growing up in Canada as opposed to growing up here?

Saying that, personally, if you have a easy road back to Canada if things don't work here then it's worth a shot just to see how you feel about it! Especially if your child is young enough that it won't feel the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chloe 83

Hi Mr.D
    Thanks for you reply. Oh I know no one can make up my mind for me. Guess I'm just looking for some experiences from those who have done it or can pose some questions that I haven't considered.

I guess jobs wise we are a bit uncertain about at the moment so we would obviously need to get that straight in our heads first and sort that out.
    We are not really looking for support as such I guess just nice to have family nearby should we ever need them and also nice to have them within visiting distance. I would love my baby to grow up knowing her cousins/aunts and uncles as opposed to just seeing them once/twice a year for 2 weeks.
    We are in the middle of applying for permanent residency which we will hopefully find out about by next summer. In order to maintain this status once getting it it's my understanding that a person has to spend 2 out of 5 years in Canada. With that in mind my thoughts are If we are successful then return to Ireland on a trial period for 2-3 years. If we really did not like it or couldn't make it work career wise/financially then we could return to Canada at the end. My husband and I are both quite adaptable to new situations and our baby is young enough that we don't think it would negatively impact her so don't think this is too crazy? I guess just financially it may cost a lot to move back and forth.

Hi Mr.D
    Thanks for you reply. Oh I know no one can make up my mind for me. Guess I'm just looking for some experiences from those who have done it or can pose some questions that I haven't considered.

I guess jobs wise we are a bit uncertain about at the moment so we would obviously need to get that straight in our heads first and sort that out.
    We are not really looking for support as such I guess just nice to have family nearby should we ever need them and also nice to have them within visiting distance. I would love my baby to grow up knowing her cousins/aunts and uncles as opposed to just seeing them once/twice a year for 2 weeks.
    We are in the middle of applying for permanent residency which we will hopefully find out about by next summer. In order to maintain this status once getting it it's my understanding that a person has to spend 2 out of 5 years in Canada. With that in mind my thoughts are If we are successful then return to Ireland on a trial period for 2-3 years. If we really did not like it or couldn't make it work career wise/financially then we could return to Canada at the end. My husband and I are both quite adaptable to new situations and our baby is young enough that we don't think it would negatively impact her so don't think this is too crazy? I guess just financially it may cost a lot to move back and forth.

Hi Mr.D

Hi Mr.D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Agree with [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]R.D. aka MR.D points. [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I would think living a distance from family isn't a bad idea though. You can never go back to the place you left anyway. I think a fresh start in part of Ireland that is new enough for both of you is a good idea. Friends of ours moved back to the UK last year and have just moved back to Middle East as they hated being home. they moved to their home city and really struggled with not having the life they had before they left and major lack of the support they were promised when their families begged them to move back. They had 2 kids while away so their expectations moving back were a bit out of whack. [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After 10 weeks at home this summer, I know I'm not ready to move home, but I also know when we move home i'm happy to have family close enough for support (going both ways as my parents are getting older) and far away enough to be our own individual family unit. [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have had a hectic work life since i finished college its not my thing and never has been I've always been a work for living person not a live to work person, what we are doing now is in the hopes that we can have a great family life without very hectic work lives. If you think you can have the kind of life you want in Ireland then go for it but be very very clear on what that life is.I mean really clear!! Do you want a certain size house, holidays, how long of a commute are you will to put in, child care etc... [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We also have a baby and i know he would be fine with any move, it was so lovely for him to spend so much time with family when we were home. I do want him to grow up with his cousins close by as we both did. [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Compared to where we are now Ireland is great place to start a business, there is lots of help available, if you can get to the right people. OH is starting something of his own and we received lots of advise (the business is registered and pays tax there) . If we lived there, there would be a lot more assistance available. Definitely look into it. [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emylou

Hi Chloe,
    We are in the same position as yourself, have been living in Australia for 6 years, have a two year old and another on the way June 2017. We initially came out here for 6 months. We have always be throwing around the idea of moving home but never committing. The lifestyle here is fab and we both have good jobs.
    About a month ago out of the blue we both made the decision to move back to Ireland and ever since it just feels like it is absolutely the right thing. Same as you would like my daughter to grow up around family. And also have a support system should anything ever happen. We will initially have to move in with family until we find a rental but we will get over that. Everything else, jobs, car insurance, etc etc will fall in to place (I hope).
    The weather really will take a lot of getting used to but that is a minor issue. We too are from Munster, we have our Aussie citizenship so down the line if we really want to we can come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Been in the US for 5 years. Here's my current thinking:

-Don't base a decision on where to settle long term based on friends or family. People change. The friends you left 5 years ago lived their lives without you. They made new friends, you and them have both grown and changed whilst apart. Don't expect to be as close once you settle back.

Other than that kind of change, people also die and move. It might be to another country or just another county. My inlaws may move to another country for retirement. My parents are in bad health. If we moved to be close to my parents and they died, what then? One of my siblings also moves around.

Even if your family sticks around. What do you expect from them? Help with your kids? To see them often? In reality, your life will continue to be busy and so will theres. You'll likely have little time with them anyway.

-Less choices, lesser lifestyle is a bit of a red herring. I live in one of the largest cities in America. There's so much choice BUT in reality, I have a dog, I have a son. If we want to go to a shop or eat out, there's about a 15 mile radius we go to and it's usually to the same places over and over. When I lived in Galway, it was the same thing...go to the same handful of places for most of the time and every once in a while try something different. I've been to big concerts, comedy shows, plays, sporting events while here but it's not like I go every month or even every 6 months. I can go just as often in Ireland, if I choose...which I probably wouldn't because I don't whilst here anyway.

-It seems like weather isn't much of a factor for you. If you have ski slopes right by you. Maybe that would sway you. For myself, I miss living by the ocean and it's pretty unaffordable here to live by the ocean unless I move to South Carolina or Florida and both of those states are hellholes. I never minded the rain and cold in Ireland. The overcast days didn't bother me much. The green and fresh air made up for it. If you don't live by slopes or having them right there isn't that important to you then remember, Ryanair flights to ski locations are very cheap!

-Like your husband, I'm in an incredible career position here, making more money than I thought was possible. That's a question for him. When he looks long term, does he want to keep a high paying job and all that goes with it? I know I don't! It's nice to feel important but I'd much rather have a better work life balance and better health instead. I wonder if he'd feel the same if I he thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Toby101

Hi Chloe,
    Did you make a decision yet. Im in a similar position but havn't being away from home for as long. Being in Canada with my OH for the last 3 years and have just made a decision that we are going to move home by the end of this year. Like you, have a really good career here and money at home would never compare but at the end of the day happiness is what is most important for me. Family at home are getting old and it seems those precious years are slipping by and I dont want to lose those moments. Although it is a fantastic life in Canada with fantastic healthcare and everything, dont get me wrong, and i never regretted moving here for 1 second, but home is home at the end of the day. Remember, you shouldnt have to question your desicion after you make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Planters Daughter

Hi Chloe
    We are in the same position - Eight years in Australia and considering the move back. We just spent a month in Ireland at Christmas time and we only had three four days of rain/drizzle the rest were crisp/frosty sunny mornings and we got to spend a lot of time outdoors. I know the main issue will be the weather for us and missing the Austrlian lifestyle and pay packets but I have come to realise that family is everything - Family and Home - Although I could never describe my parents as saints they put their youth into raising me and my siblings and I hate the way I break their heart a little more every time we say goodbye - I don't want to have any regrets when it comes to them. Also Irish people really do have the best sense of humour - Home is where the heart is and where it will always be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Not much action here.

Any way I am nearly 7 years away and have 2 kids to bring back with me. I am sending C.V. etc. but I feel not living in Ireland may mean the CV sees the bin more often then not. Has any one moved back without a job with their family? My work experience is good but without a degree I am just not being considered for roles like I am in now. Engineering Tech. Being north of 40 I am sure does not help as half the jobs going are from graduates. Any experience people have had may help me understand the big move.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

gar32 wrote: »
    Not much action here.

Any way I am nearly 7 years away and have 2 kids to bring back with me. I am sending C.V. etc. but I feel not living in Ireland may mean the CV sees the bin more often then not. Has any one moved back without a job with their family? My work experience is good but without a degree I am just not being considered for roles like I am in now. Engineering Tech. Being north of 40 I am sure does not help as half the jobs going are from graduates. Any experience people have had may help me understand the big move.

Thanks

If you would be ready to up sticks and leave in the space of month or so, why not create an Irish Google number direct it to your mobile number and put that you are in Ireland in the CV.

Honestly, I'm not sure if that puts recruiters off anyway as long as you have an Availability date on the CV that says 2 weeks or 4 weeks. That's all they should care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you would be ready to up sticks and leave in the space of month or so, why not create an Irish Google number direct it to your mobile number and put that you are in Ireland in the CV.

Honestly, I'm not sure if that puts recruiters off anyway as long as you have an Availability date on the CV that says 2 weeks or 4 weeks. That's all they should care about.

What if they want to meet for a chat?

Advertisement