Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing toshiba satellite hard drive

Options
  • 08-11-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Replacing the hard drive in this laptop is not easy because of the fact most components are screwed in from the keyboard side.
    As far as I can see the entire motherboard needs to be removed to change the hard drive.
    Am I right in this assumption ?
    Are they made this way to make upgrades difficult?
    Is there an easy way to replace drive .
    Any information would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That could be the case, on some laptops there will be icons on the bottom of the case showing where each component is located so you can get at them from there.

Are you replacing because it's damaged or to just upgrade it? Another potential option might be to leave the drive thats there and instead replace the CD/DVD drive with a hard drive caddy and then have 2 hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deleon

deleon wrote: »
    Replacing the hard drive in this laptop is not easy because of the fact most components are screwed in from the keyboard side.
    As far as I can see the entire motherboard needs to be removed to change the hard drive.
    Am I right in this assumption ?
    Are they made this way to make upgrades difficult?
    Is there an easy way to replace drive .
    Any information would be great.

Thanks for that.
    Want to install sshd instead of hdd.
    Same problem with removing dvd drive its screwed in from keyboard side which means motherboard removal which I'm not happy to attempt.
    Load of hassle.videos on u tube on other laptops are simple.
    Beware toshiba laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deleon

I looked at this laptop again in daylight and in fact it was very easy to replace the hard drive.
    The drive was only held in by the connectors and a rubber enclosure.
    Laptop is now cloned and working
    Very happy with the upgrade
    Dvd drive is also very easy to replace.
    I was just too cautious and didn't want to break any fragile components.
    Thanks.

Advertisement