Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple On/Off Controller for Oil Burner (Wireless)

Options
  • 08-11-2016 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I would like to be able turn an oil heating burner on and off remotely. The house it's in is unoccupied and I want to make sure pipes don't freeze in the winter.

There's internet in the house, so would like to be able to switch it on once I know that the temperature is going to be below freezing. The house is up in the mountains so drops below 0 a good bit during the winter.

There's a digital timer controller there at the moment.

Any suggestions? It's only going to be used until next March and then the house is being renovated so I don't want to go crazy buying loads of stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Not sure if this suggestion is of any use nor do I know what it would cost but when I got my oil heating many years ago the installer put a froststat in the outside boiler house. When the temperature drops below the level on the dial the burner runs for a few minutes until it heats up a bit. When the weather is very cold it usually kicks in for a while during the night. The dial on the stat can be adjusted to the temperature you want it to run the boiler.

I'm not a heating expert so don't know if it can be retro fitted and it obviously cannot be remotely accessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Not sure if this suggestion is of any use nor do I know what it would cost but when I got my oil heating many years ago the installer put a froststat in the outside boiler house. When the temperature drops below the level on the dial the burner runs for a few minutes until it heats up a bit. When the weather is very cold it usually kicks in for a while during the night. The dial on the stat can be adjusted to the temperature you want it to run the boiler.

I'm not a heating expert so don't know if it can be retro fitted and it obviously cannot be remotely accessed

That could work too. Thanks for that, don't mind burning through a bit of oil if it keeps everything in order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You might get a few more ideas searching in either the Heating & plumbing forum or the new 'home automation' forum.

Graham wrote: »
    You might get a few more ideas searching in either the Heating & plumbing forum or the new 'home automation' forum.

Actually thought I had posted it in home automation!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Actually thought I had posted it in home automation!

Looks like you have :o

A frost stat is probably your cheapest solution, otherwise nest/hive will work if you don't mind spending more. There's a few similar products, I just wouldn't be as familiar with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Take a look at Heatmiser.

You need 2 things:
    1) A wifi hub that connects to your Internet router
    2) An electronic timer that connects wirelessly to the WiFi hub.

App installs on your phone or tablet and can control from wherever and whenever across the Internet.

perhaps call Heatmiser in the UK and ask them which item best suits your needs for item 2 above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CT2

I used a WeMo plug to control a simple on/off of the heating. Set it up for my mothers house, to help her control her heating. It connects throw the wifi and can be controlled via your phone remotely. I replaced the old timer control with a simple plug, then connect the remote plug.

CT2 wrote: »
    I used a WeMo plug to control a simple on/off of the heating. Set it up for my mothers house, to help her control her heating. It connects throw the wifi and can be controlled via your phone remotely. I replaced the old timer control with a simple plug, then connect the remote plug.

One of these?
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/belkin-wemo-home-automation-switch.html

Are there any ongoing costs, or just a one off purchase?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CT2 wrote:

I've been wondering about this it's a great idea one I'd like to copy for my mother .
    How did you deal with the permanent live ( if required) on the boiler, usually there is a switched live a permanent live neutral and earth.

As you most likely know the permanent live stays live after the switched live is turned off, it can power the circulation pump for a while to squeeze as much heat from the warm water as possible, in some cases it also powers a fan to cool and prolong the life of the boiler.

Did you link the permanent live directly to the boiler from the spur ? And bring neutral switched live and earth from the WeMo. Or have you a different system cabled differently?.

How did you deal with timers and boost features ?

Thank you

• Advertisement

Are there any ongoing costs, or just a one off purchase?

no extra costs. app is free to download. works with IFTTT as well, so you could create a recipe to turn on when the temp gets too cold in a location.

Stoner wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this it's a great idea one I'd like to copy for my mother .
    How did you deal with the permanent live ( if required) on the boiler, usually there is a switched live a permanent live neutral and earth.

As you most likely know the permanent live stays live after the switched live is turned off, it can power the circulation pump for a while to squeeze as much heat from the warm water as possible, in some cases it also powers a fan to cool and prolong the life of the boiler.

Did you link the permanent live directly to the boiler from the spur ? And bring neutral switched live and earth from the WeMo. Or have you a different system cabled differently?.

How did you deal with timers and boost features ?

Thank you

Its just an on/off switch in this system.I just replaced the timer in the house with a plug & socket.

Advertisement