Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse station "Pearse St." entrance

Options
  • 08-11-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Last couple of times I tried to get into the station from Pearse Street, the entance was locked up and had to go around to get in (in one case I was running late and ended up missing train by the nick of time)...what's the story there? It was both times in the evening (After 8pm), does IE lock that entrance every evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Closes at 7.30 every night. The times are actually there on a sign at the entrance if you look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

-_-'

Running past both times as I realized it was closed, didn't hang around to check. Really odd thing to close "half a station" so early in the evening. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The entrance from Pearse Street was forty years overdue. For some time it closed at 20.00 I think.

It is disappointing if it now closes at 19.30, it should be open longer, not shorter hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are there still exit signs inside the station pointing to a closed exit when the exit is closed? or do they hide/cover these?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Are there still exit signs inside the station pointing to a closed exit when the exit is closed? or do they hide/cover these?

I think they rope off the stairs/escalators when the Pearse St gate is closed.

• Advertisement

But the question here is...why is it closed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    But the question here is...why is it closed off?

How do people get in and out of the station if the main entrance is closed? where is the other entrance?

There is another entrance/exit in Westland Row, basically just below the very tracks leading to the station. I believe it had been the one and only access for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How do people get in and out of the station if the main entrance is closed? where is the other entrance?

The 'main entrance' is on Westland Row not on Pearse St. The station is Pearse Station not Pearse St station. It used to be called Westland Row station.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think they rope off the stairs/escalators when the Pearse St gate is closed.

But the signs are still visible, tricking people into walking the wrong way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

7:30 pm is ridiculously early for closing those gates. Many nearby office, tech and other workers often have to put in overtime or work standard shifts beyond this time and having to leg an additional unnecessary 250 meters due to a closed entrance is bad form. Fair enough after 10pm maybe when less footfall may create anti social behavior opportunities but anytime I've gotten a service out of Pearse at 8 or 9pm, the platforms are still busy.

The Pearse Street entrance is unstaffed, Ticket Vending Machines and automatic barriers.

No additional cost apart from lighting and escalators.

I suppose the rationale is to keep out the homeless, more a security issue than anything else.

The attitude is flip the homeless and flip the passengers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are there any pictures or diagrams of where the other entrance is? it is not obvious from looking at the street view on google maps and the Irish Rail website only mentions the main entrance.

Are there any pictures or diagrams of where the other entrance is? it is not obvious from looking at the street view on google maps and the Irish Rail website only mentions the main entrance.

The main entrance is on Westland Row, where it has been for 182 years.

The Pearse Street entrance is on Pearse Street, between Cumberland Street and Sandwith Street. It is nearly in the middle of the Trinity College Health Science building. The entrance is wide and spacious, with high stainless steel or alloy gates onto the street.
    It is very handy for the library as well as offices, not to mention the Health science block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Pretty sure this is it: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3436614,-6.2470491,3a,75y,231.35h,87.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC0w7EzEM6_XjuQqScSRSvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Decision probably made by the same genius shut the suburban Connolly entrance.

the Townsend St entrance to Tara St Station also has restricted hours.

the Townsend St entrance to Tara St Station also has restricted hours.

But why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well this is news to me.

I never knew there was an entrance to the station on Pearse Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well this is news to me.

I never knew there was an entrance to the station on Pearse Street!
    Looking at Google Streetview of the area, that's no surprise, as it looks like they're trying to keep it a closely guarded secret. One weedy sign at right angles to the entrance that you'd only notice if you knew it was there already.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Decision probably made by the same genius shut the suburban Connolly entrance.

The Connolly bunker entrance was different, it had a lot of criminal presence and staff were being intimidated.

tabbey wrote: »
    The Connolly bunker entrance was different, it had a lot of criminal presence and staff were being intimidated.
    Was this before IÉ started hiring ex-Spetnaz security fellas?

If IÉ can run a station in Broombridge, then they can open the Amiens st entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was this before IÉ started hiring ex-Spetnaz security fellas?

If IÉ can run a station in Broombridge, then they can open the Amiens st entrance.

The amount of trains I wouldn't have missed legging it down platform 4, run down the stairs, under the arch, duck so I won't hit my head and up the ramp to see my platform 7 train pull away if only they re-opened that Amiens Street entrance....:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lack of multiple entrances to stations is an issue all across the network. Often where they exist, they're closed part or most of the time.

Connolly should have the Amiens Street entrance reopened and whatever is needed done to force the gated laneway down the side of the former The Vaults opened to Sheriff Street also (I suspect they don't own it). At the very least they need to put Leap validators at the unsigned carpark entrance.

You should never have to walk around three sides of a station, and pretty much never do anywhere else.

Broombridge is unstaffed, so staff are not exposed to criminality there.

But I do agree the bunker entrance should be reopened, even if security need a dog there in the evening.

L1011 wrote: »
    The lack of multiple entrances to stations is an issue all across the network. Often where they exist, they're closed part or most of the time.

In most countries, entering and leaving stations is a convenient matter.

Ireland (ROI) is exceptionally user unfriendly, the classic example being Clontarf Road, get off a down train there, you have to go up stairs to the footbridge before going down two flights of stairs. In most countries you would go directly down to ground level.

The ideal station would have direct access from the platform to the bus stop without having to queue at a barrier. Tickets should be checked on the train, leaving people to have free access once they alight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

An underpass and a simple stairs would make clontarf Road much more user friendly while retaining the lifts and overbridge for those who need it - like drumcondra.

At least it does have the logical south pedestrian exit.

L1011 wrote: »
    An underpass and a simple stairs would make clontarf Road much more user friendly while retaining the lifts and overbridge for those who need it - like drumcondra.

At least it does have the logical south pedestrian exit.

does it? - it didn't back when I used to use it, you had to exit through the station building.

• Advertisement

does it? - it didn't back when I used to use it, you had to exit through the station building.

I meant from the carpark - when opened originally I seem to remember you could only exit to Clontarf, whereas now there's a bus and pedestrian route to the Alfie Byrne Road.

The shop has shut down so its not like there's a likely loss of revenue from that by opening a second entrance/exit.

Advertisement