Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel laptop

Options
  • 08-11-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

I am heading off travelling in Asia in the new year and will be working remotely some of the time while out there. My current laptop is on its last legs and a bit bulky so was thinking of buying a cheap light laptop to take with me so then if it gets robbed or broken it won't be the end of the world and buy a proper one when I come home next christmas.

Any recommendations? I will be doing some photo editing (mostly done online but will need some storage) and writing articles etc so would be better to have the word package. Also need to use a vpn and skype etc for work purposes so needs to be fit to handle a bit but not too much.

Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to spend as little as possible coz my vaccinations alone are costing about €600! :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

sugarman wrote: »
    Chromebook?

My mum has a chromebook and I find it a bit crappy after having a proper laptop but maybe. I was looking at something like this which just might be a little bit more functional but am really not sure!

Yeah see I don't want to fork out 600 quid for one and end up dropping down a mountain in Nepal or having it nicked from a hostel in Thailand but need something functional and light for work purposes. dammit.

Never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this, €280 new. 14", fairly slim, SSD, pretty OK processor and 4GB ram.

Or else just go on Ebay, easy to get 13.3" i3/i5 based laptops for very cheap money (200-300 for very good models, 150-200 for the OK ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I'd second the idea of going for a refurbished machine, you can get lightweight business models for relatively very little. You might want to go for a reputable company with a physical address who offer a one year warranty, even so you'll probably pay about €250-300+ for a good model. (A grade is always best, IMO.)

• Advertisement

Reading a travel laptop review type thingy and a Lenovo IdeaPad 100s 11.6″ was suggested. What do you think as can get one for approx €170 in the north?

Advertisement