Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, €1k budget

Options
  • 08-11-2016 1:43pm

I'm looking to get something that will
    - perform well for gaming
    - be pretty quiet
    - can be left on
    - be decent enough for video editing
    - handle 3 * 24inch monitors (not yet purchased)

1. What is your budget? [€1,000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [see above] (World of Warships, War Thunder)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [Current is 22inch 1920x1080, plan to upgrade to 3 * 24 inch 1920*1080 in about 6 months]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Probably Black Friday/Cyber Monday]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Def need help with building it. I'm in Galway, 15 mins from the city]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

I read a thread on reddit which showed graphs of when the best time was to but pc parts and black Friday, cyber Monday were not the cheapest times to buy, there were actually price hikes after thanksgiving.

Honestly, I'll go with whatever the advice is here. I've little experience in the purchasing of parts. If it makes no difference, then it makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you planning on using the 3 monitor set up for gaming or are they for editing?

If for editing, you'd actually have more screen with 2 1440p monitors, they'd probably run cheaper too. If single screen gaming 1440p will look nicer too.

Three 1920 width screens is 5760, so you'd have a total resolution of 5760*1080 = 6220800 pixels total
    Two 2560 width screens is 5120, so you'd have a total resolution of 5120*1440 = 7372800 pixels total, works out almost 16% more screen.

The terminology I've used makes me look so stupid :pac:

For gaming, the screens splitting in the middle is going to look awful, so for multimonitor gaming get 3.

Re:Parts
    i7 6700 €300
    B150M board €70
    2tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    GTX 1050Ti €150
    16gb RAM €70
    Case €70
    500w PSU €80
    Total €880

Windows licence runs around 70 quid, delivery about 30 will bring you close to 1k.

I can probably teach you how to build it if you can wait for me to have free time.

If you need specific parts or links shout, myself or (more likely) Kiki will give a list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I'd agree with the build above. The i7 is going to be your good friend for video editing, and the GTX1050Ti is a solid budget card that will particularly sail through games like World of Warships/War Thunder at max settings.

Buying Windows isn't a must buy immediately, the trial version works indefinitely with no issues or prompts of any kind save for a watermark in the bottom right corner. I've been using the same version for months. You could put extra money into a considerably more powerful GPU to balance out the system like a GTX1060 or RX480, but this isn't really necessary if those games are the only ones you play - more so if you decided to play Battlefield 1 and the newer intensive titles.

I get the impression that you'll be gaming on the single monitor and the others are for editing, but if you are looking to game in a multi-monitor setup, it's fairly grueling on the graphics card. Also you'd need monitors with very thin edges as it looks pretty bad with wide bezels.

The multiple monitors will not be for gaming, I'll only be using the center monitor for that. The others are for general productivity

I've thought about a 2 monitor setup, but I've had that in the past and use it on a daily basis in work. I've used it enough to know I'd rather 3 smaller screens than 2 bigger ones. in terms of productivity it would suit me better.

The gaming usage will be for when I need to switch off from work, study (yay for part time degrees bah).

@terrorfirmer you're spot on about the bezels, its why I'm waiting to get those later, so I can spend a bit more on them. Even in normal day to day usage on a dual monitor setup in work the thick bezels are an irritation

@Digital Solitude, I'll happily take you up on that offer for showing me how to build it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sound PM me whenever you get the parts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I've thought about a 2 monitor setup, but I've had that in the past and use it on a daily basis in work. I've used it enough to know I'd rather 3 smaller screens than 2 bigger ones. in terms of productivity it would suit me better.

Have you used 2 1440p monitors before. There is a HUGH difference in what you can do with 1440p as compared to a 1080p screen. With a 1440p monitor is actually possible to work on 2 open windows on the same screen as oppose to 1080p monitor. e.g. on one monitor I have both a web page and outlook open at the same time and both perfectly usable, were on a 1080p monitor I could only have 1 open at a time.

Advertisement