Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Financial Options

Options
  • 07-11-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

I returned to college as a mature student and graduated 2 years ago. I started teaching abroad, really liked it and returned to Ireland with a small amount of savings to try and get a Masters.

From what I've gathered so far, I can only get State-covered tuition fees if I'm a) unemployed for 9 months and b) take a PME or H. Dip. They are some of the options I'm thinking of, but I really want to teach at 3rd level in my chosen area (Business/Mgmt/HR).

I got a job within 2 weeks of returning home, I'm trying to bolster my savings but I'm not going to be able to save enough to pay tuition, never mind save enough to support myself during a fulltime year of a research masters.

My questions are:

1. Can I get tax relief, state-funding or any kind of grant or state assistance in my chosen Masters degree, whatever it ends up being?

2. If I am not, and I manage to beg, borrow or steal the tuition fees, would I be entitled to BTEA?

Relevant information: I am 34, independent, single, no children, no record of working in Ireland for 2 years, and for my college years I never earned above 22k, and usually less as I worked part-time.

I know you get asked questions like this all the time, but I'm on a constant circle of one website to another and I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions. If it helps, due to my work and home situations, it would have to be UL I'd go to.

Thank you!

Advertisement