Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment for people with social anxiety!!

Options
  • 07-11-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Have suffered a long time with Social anxiety and was looking to get in contact with others who suffer the same.

What kind of jobs suit people with Social anxiety?
    I have tried many many jobs and all I suffered serious anxiety in. If you seen me you wouldn't think I suffer from it but my would be full of anxiety. The only thing that helps me is training and mediation and healthy diet. These take up a lot of time in a day. But when I'm in employment I never find time to do it all which leads to me going back to and anxious state.
    I have offen thought about applying for DA. But would probably be laughed at and told to go away :(.

Any ideas of how I can improve as a person? I really love working and the routine it give me.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi there Icelandic, welcome to the forum and i hope some others can input. Have you been diagnosed by a doctor?. If not that is your first port of call so you can then speak with all other agencies be it social welfare, citizen's advice or a local employability group. There are lots of people that will help, well done for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

i thought there would be a better response than this obviously I'm one of very few

Hi there Icelandic, welcome to the forum and i hope some others can input. Have you been diagnosed by a doctor?. If not that is your first port of call so you can then speak with all other agencies be it social welfare, citizen's advice or a local employability group. There are lots of people that will help, well done for posting.

Hi grem and thanks for your input. No was not diagnosed by a doctor. Do they even actually diagnose.?! Last time I went to the doctors was couple of years ago now. Just through pills at me really which I took for a while but then realised were not for me. Not much will to go back there to be honest. Although I was given a new doctor that I have not met because other retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Do you like animals? I've seen people with social anxiety cope better when working with animals than with other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hi folks,
    Have suffered a long time with Social anxiety and was looking to get in contact with others who suffer the same.

What kind of jobs suit people with Social anxiety?
    I have tried many many jobs and all I suffered serious anxiety in. If you seen me you wouldn't think I suffer from it but my would be full of anxiety. The only thing that helps me is training and mediation and healthy diet. These take up a lot of time in a day. But when I'm in employment I never find time to do it all which leads to me going back to and anxious state.
    I have offen thought about applying for DA. But would probably be laughed at and told to go away :(.

Any ideas of how I can improve as a person? I really love working and the routine it give me.

What kind of jobs have tried then? One job I found okay was security, working in clubs or concerts you work with the same few people all the time so you get to know them quite well fast enough. You mentioned that health and fitness helps you relax so have you thought about becoming a personal trainer and working in a gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

I have pretty bad anxiety with people. I find any job where I'm not dealing with the public is fine.
    I'm working in an office at the minute, I switch teams every six months or so, which isn't ideal for me, but it's a lot easier to deal with than any previous jobs I've had i.e. working in a shop, working in a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lyza

A person I know suffers very badly with it and he had it diagnosed by a psychologist, he was given tablets for it and it improved a lot . But the side effects of the tablets wreaked havoc on him so he had to stop taking them. He also can't find suitable work and he can't go for interviews so he just has to keep hoping something will come up through word of mouth . He is also very big into fitness training.

What kind of jobs have tried then? One job I found okay was security, working in clubs or concerts you work with the same few people all the time so you get to know them quite well fast enough. You mentioned that health and fitness helps you relax so have you thought about becoming a personal trainer and working in a gym?

Lots and lots of different jobs won't name them here. Ye exercise is like medicine for me just like keeping a routine is. I'd love to be a personnel trainer but would need to up my confidence to be able to take classes or train groups..

Do you like animals? I've seen people with social anxiety cope better when working with animals than with other people?

Ye I would like animals I suppose and probably more than people :)ha

Advertisement