Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC Build (€2000 budget)

Options
  • 07-11-2016 8:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, would appreciate your advice. Have my own ideas, but would like some more knowledgeable opinions first. Thanks.

1. What is your budget?
    ~€2,000. Could expand on that a bit if really needed

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Battlefield 1, Total War Warhammer, Witcher 3, Civ 6)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24", but not sure. Would like to use it for movies/TV as well as gaming. Maybe it should be bigger?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Headphones, Keyboard, Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Eventually, but would prefer not to at start

8. How can you pay? Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Black Friday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What are your ideas?

1440p144hz goals is it? Just to confirm

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Really, it'd serve you (and us) if we had more to go on.

When you say you'd like to watch TV and movies on it as well, would you like a second, larger monitor for TV?
    Do you want to target 4K gaming, or would you rather go high refresh rate, or both?
    Are you interested in VR much?
    Do you want it to be super silent?
    Do you want some sort of backup solution for your data?
    Do you want a super-duper mechanical keyboard?
    Do you want high quality headphones or speakers?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Really, it'd serve you (and us) if we had more to go on.

When you say you'd like to watch TV and movies on it as well, would you like a second, larger monitor for TV? Would prefer just one monitor, gaming is the priority.
    Do you want to target 4K gaming, or would you rather go high refresh rate, or both? Ideally both, but which is more important for gaming? With the exception of the Battlefield series, I don't care much for twitchy first person shooters that emphasise reaction times. Prefer RPG and strategy.
    Are you interested in VR much? Not at the moment
    Do you want it to be super silent? Don't care about noise, as long as it's not noticeable with headphones on.
    Do you want some sort of backup solution for your data? Haven't considered this
    Do you want a super-duper mechanical keyboard? Just a good quaility keyboard, doesn't have to be state of the art. Same with the mouse.
    Do you want high quality headphones or speakers? High quality headphones, don't need speakers.

Hope this helps somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd go for an i7-6700K, 16GB ram, GTX1070 and a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor which is well within budget with breathing room for a nice keyboard and mouse and speakers/headset.

When you have that sort of budget it's the optimal build, and games run much better on monitors with high refresh rates (in particular, FPS and action titles). Games like Battlefield 1 and Warhammer also make particularly good use of the extra threads of the i7.

• Advertisement

What about storage, what's a good size for a SSD? Should I throw in a HDD on top of it?

250gb SSD should be fine.

Get a 2tb one, worth 60 quid

Eh, I'd say 500GB SSD, especially with a budget like that. Once you put a couple of games on it (I have a couple on mine that seem to benefit from loading times) 250GB fills up mighty quick.

Is a G sync monitor woth getting for a GTX1070 ?

Was looking at the BenQ XL2730Z, but it's freesync, so won't work with NVidia cards.
    Can't find a G sync monitor near the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Is a G sync monitor woth getting for a GTX1070 ?

Was looking at the BenQ XL2730Z, but it's freesync, so won't work with NVidia cards.
    Can't find a G sync monitor near the same price.

The monitor will work, you just won't be able to use the g-sync features. Which probably isn't the end of the world if you have a 1070, but I can't comment as I haven't had the chance to see benefits of G-Sync/Freesync for myself in real life!!

G-Sync is something monitor manufacturers have to buy which adds a lot to the cost, whereas freesync, is...as the name suggests free and as such, monitors with it work out cheaper.

• Advertisement

What about TN vs IPS?

Would you really notice the difference in colour and viewing angle?

Unless someone is on a really tight budget, or really wants high framerates or something, I don't recommend TNs at all any more, not when you can get solid IPS monitors for €100 or so.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Unless someone is on a really tight budget, or really wants high framerates or something, I don't recommend TNs at all any more, not when you can get solid IPS monitors for €100 or so.

Any suggestions?

Sure. This is a little more than I thought originally, but you could probably find something a bit cheaper with some digging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-23MP68VQ-23-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B01F1PSHVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1478876503&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+ips

Anyone have experience with Ultrawide monitors for gaming?

Not myself but other boardsies.

Very very nice if you can find a game that supports them, most don't. Either you find a fan fix for it or you play with black borders

Advertisement