Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE radio dramas

Options
  • 07-11-2016 6:33pm

Most weekends, radio drama on RTE is utter dirge, outdoing even the likes of Fair City in terms of bad acting, bad writing, and cheap production.

Last night, however, I heard perhaps the best radio drama I have ever heard on RTE, and I'd encourage anyone to listen to it. It's dubbed as a 'radio musical' version of the Playboy of the Western World, but it's actually got very little music, and the music that I did hear was of surprisingly good composition. The drama itself was well-written, funny and was spectacularly untrue to the period, with microphones and crooners that sounded like Elvis impersonators.

The acting is very good too.

http://www.rte.ie/drama/radio/plays/2015/1218/754864-the-playboy-of-the-western-world-a-radio-musical/

It's very unusual to come across a production of this calibre on RTE. If anyone knows anything else worthwhile, let us know please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I agree, 80 to 90% of radio drama is either average or poor. But RTE do put a lot of effort into it. BBC radio drama can also be bad most of the time, it seems to be a hard medium to write in. and it's hard to appeal to everyone all of the time.

in recent years , RTE is adapting a lot of fringe stage plays. i really enjoyed the Hugh Travers one about gerry ryan "Lambo" a year or so ago.
    These were pretty good stage plays. i don't know how they sound on radio - the man in two pieces , charolais, small plastic wars, the wickedness of oz
    A Galway Girl is also worth a listen if you can find it.

i just noticed Behan's A Quare Fella is available to listen to from 2013, so must listen to that during the week.

Advertisement