Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Poppies".(no,not the flowers)

Options
  • 07-11-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I remember when I was a kid,any time my mother boiled potatoes for dinner,she always used to call them "poppies".
    I'm just wondering if anyone else ever heard them being called poppies and if it was one of those things with Irish mammies. :-):-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember it all right. From cousins in Kilkenny. There were always poppies growing amongst the spuds. There's your explanation, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, my mother used to call them that as well. No idea where it came from or how common the use of it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I used to think it might have been just my mother's own kiddies slang term for potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to think it might have been just my mother's own kiddies slang term for potatoes.
    thats what I woudl have guessed.

shows up on an irish slang dictionary
    http://www.slang.ie/index.php?county=Cork&entry=poppies

Poppies

thumbs up +64 Voting here helps us filter the best slang
    posted by: Unregistered User n.
    Potatoes

"Want some poppies for supper?"
    Susan O Connell
    Aug 22nd 2013, 7:29 PM # 37 24
    For some reason I never call them spuds, it’s potatoes, Poppy’s , pops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The Kilkenny side of my family called them poppies too.

Maybe a Kilkenny thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

When I lived in Cork (90's) always called them poppies. Moved to Dublin and no one had a clue what I was talking about

Advertisement