Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound no sound on normal TV,

Options
  • 07-11-2016 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

Hope I'm in the right the place, I have a cheap Walker 32 inch LCD TV wp3211lcd a Sony dav-dz230 and a FTA satellite box,

After setting it all up the sound is working perfect looking at a DVD or looking at the satellite, but on the tv looking at rte or any of the channels there is no sound,

When I change the channel there is sound for split second and it stops,

I have a scart lead between the tv and the surround sound system and a HDMI lead, I don't think it's a connection issue as the FTA box is outputting it sound through the tv in the sony ok just the TV Channels are not,

I've looked through the menu and can't see anything that I can turn on to give me sound out on the tv??

Anyone have any ideas ( I know I need a new tv but can't afford it currently)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Not entirely sure of your setup but is the TV being fed with a 5.1 source? My TV doesn't know how to deal with that so for example, my sky box has to be set to stereo for the hdmi feed.
    Not sure if that's of any help.
    eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope I'm in the right the place, I have a cheap walker 32 inch LCD TV a sony dav-dz230 and a fta satellite box,

After setting it all up the sound is working perfect looking at a DVD or looking at the satellite, but on the tv looking at rte or any of the channels there is no sound,

I have a scart lead between the tv and the surround sound system and a HDMI lead, I don't think it's a connection issue as the FTA box is outputting it sound through the tv in the sony ok just the TV Channels are not,

I've looked through the menu and can't see anything that I can turn on to give me sound out on the tv??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

im not too into this stuff tbh so I don't know,all I have tried since is if I disconnect the scart lead I loose the audio from the satellite box, as I thought it might be going though the HDMI and not the scart, so it is using the scart to carry audio to the surround system but not tv audio??

Strange one this,

Not entirely sure of your setup but is the TV being fed with a 5.1 source? My TV doesn't know how to deal with that so for example, my sky box has to be set to stereo for the hdmi feed.
    Not sure if that's of any help.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope I'm in the right the place, I have a cheap Walker 32 inch LCD TV wp3211lcd a Sony dav-dz230 and a FTA satellite box,

Thanks

Has the tv got optical out? If so connect it to your surround sound(if it supports optical) using an optical cable. I found this was an easy way to get free to air tv to play through my surround sound.

Hi no optical on either TV or surround system, the FTA box is playing ok it just the normal tv that I cant hear,
    aido79 wrote: »
    Has the tv got optical out? If so connect it to your surround sound(if it supports optical) using an optical cable. I found this was an easy way to get free to air tv to play through my surround sound.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The problem is that you don't have a connection between the tv and the Sony box that's sends audio from the tv itself (i.e. not the set top box) to the Sony unit. Are there white and red rca sockets on the back of the tv that will send audio to the Sony unit ? They should look like this

http://geoffthegreygeek.com/how-do-i-connect-my-flat-screen-tv/labled-lcd-3/

Ritz

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply I did try those connections and still nothing, I just think its this poor quality walker TV,

I give it another try and see what happens,

Thanks
    The Ritz wrote: »
    The problem is that you don't have a coonevtion between the tv and the Sony box that's sends audio from the tv itself (i.e. not the set top box) to the Sony unit. Are there white and red rca sockets on the back of the tv that will send audio to the Sony unit ? They should look like this

http://geoffthegreygeek.com/how-do-i-connect-my-flat-screen-tv/labled-lcd-3/

Ritz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

That could be the problem - just make sure you're connecting to the right sockets - some TVs have audio in (usually accomanied by video in, a yellow RCA socket) and audio out, usually red and white RCA sockets only, its the latter that you should connect to your Sony box.

To hear audio through your Sony box you prob need to select the correct input, ie the one that correlates to the sockets on the unit you've connected to.

This may all sound very basic, but I've spent many a delightful (ha!) afternoon trouble-shooting folks incorrectly connected set top boxes, bluray/dvd players/recorders, sound bars and tvs. I usually start by disconnecting all the various cables, run through the user manuals (you did keep the user manual for your tv etc ? :-) ) where necessary and then hook everything up logically - the temptation to get something working quickly is the graveyard of the enthusiast !!

Ritz.

Advertisement