Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of year to build a PC?

Options
  • 06-11-2016 11:37pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I'll be building a PC for gaming in the coming months. I'm in a position now to buy If I wanted to.

Is there much point in waiting for the winter sales or should I just go for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There are almost never specific times of year to built pcs.

It's simple due to pc being a combination of a lot of different parts, which even then go to different brands etc. So you can get a good deal on ssds now, because they are droping in price a lot now, but you will spend a lot money on gpu, if you want high end, because right now there is no competition for nvidia.

Same as it was with hdd going very expensive due to big factory being damaged, but ram was cheap as chips.
    New releases of tech can push down prices of older tech, which becomes a bargain.
    So as you can see its a very fast changing market with a lot of different components. Usually just waiting for those "magical sales" will leave you disappointed, but if you got already a system, you might pick up individual part as a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BsBox

Hanging on until Black Friday could save you ~10% if you're buying online, depending on the parts you're getting.

Other than that, on the CPU side (assuming you're going with Intel) you could wait for Kaby Lake, although early benchmarks show performance increases of only 7-10%. AMD's Zen is at least another half a year away, so I wouldn't hold on for that.
    On the GPU side, AMD released their RX 460-480 cards a while back (with recent price cuts to the 460 and 470), but pricing is still inflated due to supply/demand. Not sure how that's going to be affected by Black Friday. NVIDIA also had recent releases with the 10XX cards, so now would be a decent time to buy.

Really, it all depends on what brands you're looking to go with, and how much money you're spending on your build. There's no general time when buying parts is better than any other because of release cycles, so I'd say Black Friday is your best bet.

Advertisement