Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Dormer PP

Options
  • 06-11-2016 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi- I want to build an attic dormer extension on the rear of my home. I know I need to apply for planning permission and so had a look online at such applications with DCC. There are many attic dormer extensions in the area, and so I presumed precedence would mean a fluid enough process. However none of these appear to have secured planning permission. I've spoken to someone in the area who recently decided to go ahead and build and if need be apply for retention in the future. I would prefer to get the permission up front etc but as there is no precedence in the area am not sure.Has anyone had a similar experience and been refused?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

General1 wrote: »
    Hi- I want to build an attic dormer extension on the rear of my home. I know I need to apply for planning permission and so had a look online at such applications with DCC. There are many attic dormer extensions in the area, and so I presumed precedence would mean a fluid enough process. However none of these appear to have secured planning permission. I've spoken to someone in the area who recently decided to go ahead and build and if need be apply for retention in the future. I would prefer to get the permission up front etc but as there is no precedence in the area am not sure.Has anyone had a similar experience and been refused?
    Thanks

Precedence is not always required. Someone has to be the first!
    As long as it's proper and orderly development then it should be fine, but dormers raise further issues depending on position.

Where do you plan to place the dormer? Front or rear roof?

What area is it in also and maybe I can help with some precedence that you may have missed, but a good walk around the vicinity will help you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 General1

Many thanks for your thoughts!It's a mid-terrace two storey house in D12. I guess someone has to be the first but it's an expensive gamble to apply for PP and be refused. I've spent so many hours walking the area over the past few months scoping out all the dormers but the addresses don't seem to be registered with DCC on their planning site. Any advice is very welcome !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

General1 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your thoughts!It's a mid-terrace two storey house in D12. I guess someone has to be the first but it's an expensive gamble to apply for PP and be refused. I've spent so many hours walking the area over the past few months scoping out all the dormers but the addresses don't seem to be registered with DCC on their planning site. Any advice is very welcome !

PM me your address if you want me to check

Advertisement