Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Leaking Sink

Options
  • 06-11-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hello,

Trying to get some help with repairing a leaking sink for a family member - an activity that is far from my comfort zone :)

So the leak is what it says on the tin, water dripping from the plug hole below the sink and onto the wooden shelves etc.

I have attached two photos that summarise the problem

The photo "top-view" is from above the sink. To the right of that photo is the metal cover of the the plug hole. That can be lifted on and off the sink easily and that is the first part of the problem I think - that metal cover should be fixed and sealed (i.e. watertight) - not easily lifted off (i.e. not watertight).

The photo "bottom-view" is underneath the sink. Looking closely at that, it can be seen that the black rubber seal between the white downpipe and the sink itself is not watertight - in fact, it is not even pressed tightly against the sink - problem number 2 I reckon. Funny thing is, I can't see any threading or mechanism that I could use to tighten it apart from some laughably clumsy approach such as placing an object under the white downpipe to push it (and therefore the seal) up and therefore improve the contact between the rubber seal and the sink.

So it seems to me that I could solve problem number 1 using come kind of putty or sealant and that would improve the situation and indeed fix it most of the time but if there was a backup of water occasionally from the downpipe to the level of the loose black rubber seal, the leak would return.

I've searched a little on the web but been able to come up with a definite answer. Any ideas on the best way to fix this? Do I need to fix both problems (as I see them)? Or is my analysis even correct?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It looks like the trap is getting a lot of abuse. It has the look of a place where too many things are stored. If it were me I'd replace the trap & get rid of the silicone even if it's not the issue this time.
    If the water is indeed coming from where you are saying (where the black gasket meets the sink) Then you can try tightening the fitting. Remove trap & overflow and hand tighten the fitting. If this ares still leaks then the whole waste might need to come out & put back in or replaced.
    Between the silicon, the loose fitting & the brush wedged under the trap it looks a mess. I'd go as far as not storing anything at all in this part of the press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

If you fill the sink with water, (have a towel handy!) you should be able to see where the water is coming from - i.e. out from a connection, maybe from the overflow, or from the seal. If it's a connection, tighten them and see if that helps - good and tight by hand should be enough.

If it is the seal, consider a "Basin mate" for resealing the waste. There are videos and directions on D'Web to help you decide if it's a DIYer.

Advertisement