Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card for Oculus rift

Options
  • 06-11-2016 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone recommend a good value graphics card for the Oculus Rift CV1? I will mainly be using it for flight simulator FSX which is more CPU dependent.

I currently have a Radeon AMD R7 200 installed which does not meet the minimum requirements for the rift.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd have thought at least a gtx 1070 was minimum for vr. Costs around 345. That is just off the top of my head.

normally If the game truly does depend on cpu. A better gpu will mostly only allow higher graphics options and only partially drive fps up. but considering the card you have now going up to a 1070 that fps boost could be a big one.

Out of curiosity What's your current set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

I'd have thought at least a gtx 1070 was minimum for vr. Costs around 345. That is just off the top of my head.

normally If the game truly does depend on cpu. A better gpu will mostly only allow higher graphics options and only partially drive fps up. but considering the card you have now going up to a 1070 that fps boost could be a big one.

Out of curiosity What's your current set up?

Cheers for the info. Gtx 1070 is a bit over budget for me at the moment. Was hoping for something in the region of €200-250.

Regarding my setup, not sure how exactly to check what setup I have but here is a rough idea
    - i5 CPU
    - radeon amd r7 200 gpu
    - 2x4gb RAM
    - 120gb ssd
    - 1tb hdd
    - 240gb ssd yet to be installed
    - Windows 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX1060 3GB or 6GB model will be a massive upgrade and generally pretty good for VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD RX 470/480

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AMD RX 470/480

Thanks, was looking at them alright but reading conflicting information on whether the 470 will work or not

• Advertisement

Might seem like a silly question but I just want make sure before buying.....

If I was to buy say the AMD RX 480 mentioned above. Will this fit in my motherboard that currently holds an AMD R7 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Should fit in the motherboard slot no problem, just depends on your case size!

Could you take a picture of it with the side panel off? or post your model case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

A GTX 970 is generally recommended as the minimum spec, so all the recommendations above are solid choices. The RX480 being probably the cheapest option (new) while a second hand 970 can also be gotten for a good price.

Shlippery wrote: »
    Should fit in the motherboard slot no problem, just depends on your case size!

Could you take a picture of it with the side panel off? or post your model case?

Picture with side panel removed

OK so narrowed it down to these. Which in your opinion is the best value for money? I will generally only be using it for FSX in VR

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX N1060 IX OC-3GD 3 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI Express 3 HDMI Graphics Card - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KHWOASI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Nbqiyb3F7VZHJ
    £189.95

Gigabyte GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6G NVIDIA 6 GB Graphics Cards - Black (Active, ATX, GeForce GTX 1060, GDDR5, PCI Express x16 3.0) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K7I7M00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pdqiybESX7ZRA
    £232.98

Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 4 GB GDDR5 Memory Polaris FinFET DX 12 Vulkan FreeSync PCI-Express Graphics Card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IQS6QE6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-hqiyb82AMXWF
    £205.99

ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NFFAW50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bjqiybW1AG0R6
    £222.89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    Picture with side panel removed

You have tonnes of room any graphics card you choose will fit.

From those I would go with the Rx 480 Nitro, that is my personal opinion, someone else would also have theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Flight Sim X is a ten year old dx9 game. Everything I have ever read about it screams CPU is king.

http://wiki.flyinside-fsx.com/index.php/Hardware_Setup

Is this what you're hoping to go for?

While fsx isn't' graphically intensive in itself, you'll still need the power for the "VR" experience with your rift...

I'd say the Sapphire RX480 would be your best bet there, but mainly that's because it's the card I have..but would probably also be good if you invested in the other flight sim Prepar3d which also supports the VR!

Flight Sim X is a ten year old dx9 game. Everything I have ever read about it screams CPU is king.

True but for VR purposes I need to upgrade GPU

Shlippery wrote: »
    http://wiki.flyinside-fsx.com/index.php/Hardware_Setup

Is this what you're hoping to go for?

While fsx isn't' graphically intensive in itself, you'll still need the power for the "VR" experience with your rift...

I'd say the Sapphire RX480 would be your best bet there, but mainly that's because it's the card I have..but would probably also be good if you invested in the other flight sim Prepar3d which also supports the VR!

Hi, yes flyinside is exactly what I am looking for. Looks like the RX480 is what is been most recommended

What is the process for installing a new graphics card. Do I need to uninstall old card first before physically removing?

First time to do this so would appreciate any advice. Thanks

What is the process for installing a new graphics card. Do I need to uninstall old card first before physically removing?

First time to do this so would appreciate any advice. Thanks

You can just remove it physically. And uninstall the drivers if you want to (not really needed tbh) with DDU and then install the new graphics card and download the new drivers.

You can just remove it physically. And uninstall the drivers if you want to (not really needed tbh) with DDU and then install the new graphics card and download the new drivers.

Cheers, just what I thought. Wanted to make sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

True but for VR purposes I need to upgrade GPU

Not quite, high framerates are king for VR. They recommend 75-90 frames per second depending on the headset to prevent motion sickness from jerkiness or something like that, and in most cases a good GPU gives good framerates.

Not so for FSX. It's a 10 year old game stuck on DirectX 9 which performs badly even on good modern hardware, I don't think they really took advantage of offloading work from the CPU to GPU until DX11 came around.

I have an RX 480 but the framerate hovers around 30 in the Aerosoft A320 because I only have an i5 4460. CPU clock speed if the driving factor for good framerates in FSX, which is why most the 60+ FPS ultra graphic videos are done on machines with overclocked i7s at over 4GHz.

I'd either wait for X-Plane 11 or try P3D instead. Last I heard they were making Flyinside for X-plane as well or it has native VR support or something.

• Advertisement

OK so I upgraded my GPU to Rx480 for Fsx but I can't seem to get a good performance in the oculus Rift. Is there certain graphics card changes I need to make within the AMD settings. Everything seems very grainy and blurry. I'm not expecting HD quality but would like to read instruments comfortably enough.

Any ideas?

OK so I upgraded my GPU to Rx480 for Fsx but I can't seem to get a good performance in the oculus Rift. Is there certain graphics card changes I need to make within the AMD settings. Everything seems very grainy and blurry. I'm not expecting HD quality but would like to read instruments comfortably enough.

Any ideas?

Try run DDU
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Removes all traces of old drivers - then install the latest ones.

Start with that.

also
    what are your fly-inside graphics settings at?
    obGCd9X.jpg

(not that I've used it myself, but might be an indicator there..)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

flyinside's wiki also has a guide to help you get the best graphical settings for your needs.

I'm presuming you already have the rift setup correctly (fitting right and with the correct ipd).

Advertisement