Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I save my fireplace?

Options
  • 06-11-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have a beautiful cream marble fireplace in the sitting room with a gas fire. We need to find another solution to the gas fire as we never turn it on because we assume it is costing an arm and a leg to run.

I would like an insert stove but was told it could crack the marble fireplace as it has no joints. Can I get joints cut in the fireplace without dismantling it? Should I just go for a freestanding stove instead and would that crack the fireplace? Final question:Is an open fire a possibility?

I would love to get this sorted out before Christmas as I would my kids to have memories of cosy nights by some sort of fire! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rhombus1

Sorry boards won't let me upload an image

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rhombus1

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rhombus1 wrote: »
    Bump

Upload pics and stick a link in your post.The mother got a marble fireplace and insert boiler stove,never a problem.

Lots of images of marble fireplaces and stoves: https://www.google.ie/search?q=marble+fireplace+insert+stove&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiv8f6j7JTQAhXLKMAKHRwjDI0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1440&bih=791#imgrc=_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Rhombus1 wrote: »
    We have a beautiful cream marble fireplace in the sitting room with a gas fire. We need to find another solution to the gas fire as we never turn it on because we assume it is costing an arm and a leg to run.

I would like an insert stove but was told it could crack the marble fireplace as it has no joints. Can I get joints cut in the fireplace without dismantling it? Should I just go for a freestanding stove instead and would that crack the fireplace? Final question:Is an open fire a possibility?

I would love to get this sorted out before Christmas as I would my kids to have memories of cosy nights by some sort of fire! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but we’re in the same position as the OP. What option did you go with in the end Rhombus?

• Advertisement
Advertisement