Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRE vs NZ - NZ perspective

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For Swiwi or other Kiwis with a true NZ perspective on things, how would Schmidt be rating now back there now? Top notch ? Would the S14 teams there see him as a catch ? Would NZ management have him high on their succession planning coaching possibilities for the ABs ? Or would his success, being northern hemisphere still be regarded as second division and that he would still have to prove himself as Super 14 level, let alone ABs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

For Swiwi or other Kiwis with a true NZ perspective on things, how would Schmidt be rating now back there now? Top notch ? Would the S14 teams there see him as a catch ? Would NZ management have him high on their succession planning coaching possibilities for the ABs ? Or would his success, being northern hemisphere still be regarded as second division and that he would still have to prove himself as Super 14 level, let alone ABs ?

Yes he is highly rated. My understanding is that even before yesterday he was offered a super XV head coach role but after deliberation decided to stay in Ireland. In theory he has to coach in NZ the prior season to taking AB reigns we see what happens in 2020. Still a LOT of water to go under the bridge not least rwc 2019, depending on how NZ and Ireland go might have an influence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Super 14? Super XV?

Keep up lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Enjoyed the commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Will the match been show again on RTE today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Boggy Turf wrote: »

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Boggy Turf wrote: »

Full game here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQL9rjywJrg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

ThisRegard wrote: »
    For all the slagging I did of BT's coverage, watching it now I realise the stream last night must have been a UK one as the commentary was pretty soulless. Watching it now with the Irish commentators and it's much better.

I changed to Setanta couldn't bare the BT comm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

interesting read here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11743301

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Interesting alright. On the tradition of coming through Super Rugby though, is that really a stumbling block - or even that long of a tradition, or one with any merit. Surely if Schmidt keeps doing this sort of thing and is the prime candidate, no one else stellar comes through the NZ system in the mean time, not appointing him if he wants it would be real cutting off your nose to spite your face from NZ Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Obviously a fabulous and historic result, but I think the real measure of where we are are in relation to the All Blacks comes in about 2 weeks when we'll see how we handle the backlash.

For me the great thing about the result was how it was stamped "made in Ireland" - we didn't win through a jammy bounce, a questionable refereeing decision or the ABs having a howler, we pretty much dismantled them and it was encouraging to see how clinical they were at identifying and punishing weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm just delighted that the NZ Herald didn't get a chance to draw a cartoon of Schmidt dressed up as a clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This in my opinion is as bad a season as 1998 when we lost five tests in a row and 2007 when we went out in the quarter-finals

At least Ireland isn't the only country full of nutjobs!

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Sounds like the local George Hook.

That said, the All Blacks were clearly rattled throughout that match. Whether they were unprepared in general or just unprepared for the ferocity that Ireland brought is a different discussion, but they lost their composure for large parts of that game especially the last 10 minutes.

For a team of that quality though, that is a very important learning experience to get out of the way well in advance of the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

lets hope they don't learn any lessons before the return fixture...!

lets hope they don't learn any lessons before the return fixture...!

I was reflecting on my way in this morning.

Ireland have a really good track record under Joe against two teams in particular. New Zealand and France.

The reason I highlight this is that they are the two countries where Joe has coached and he seems to have an insight there that really helps us deliver against these two teams more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lovely stuff. He just gave Schmidt and Gatland stuff they can post on the dressing room walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Teferi wrote: »
    Lovely stuff. He just gave Schmidt and Gatland stuff they can post on the dressing room walls.

It's really stupid stuff. How can a season where they ran away with the RC having beaten Wales comprehensively in all 3 June Tests be worse than a season where they lost 5 in a row? It's an enormous overreaction.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's really stupid stuff. How can a season where they ran away with the RC having beaten Wales comprehensively in all 3 June Tests be worse than a season where they lost 5 in a row? It's an enormous overreaction.

Mark Watson is a shock-jock radio dj who loves to troll and does a good hook impression. Pay no heed.

• Advertisement

I was reflecting on my way in this morning.

Ireland have a really good track record under Joe against two teams in particular. New Zealand and France.

The reason I highlight this is that they are the two countries where Joe has coached and he seems to have an insight there that really helps us deliver against these two teams more than others.

A wretched France side beat us this year.

In France, and that was a team riddled with talent. We lost because Mike Ross was hurt and they took advantage of scrum dominance for 10 minutes. Our record against them since 2013 however has been terrific (it had been getting better before that also to be fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In crap weather the French scrum was the decisive factor in the closing stages due to injuries in the Irish pack (Ross not available, SOB & McCarthy injured during the game) and clever management from Noves putting their best scrummaging props on the bench. Add in some really dodgy officiating throughout (the hits on Sexton and Kearney, the latter of which led to Dave being injured as well) and a 1 point loss really wasn't that bad a result. It was disappointing but it was one the def helped Furlong in the long run I reckon too. They were out for blood that day after the RWC.

How did Joe's insight into French rugby help there though? They were always going to try arm wrestle a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Swiwi, where should one go for rugby analysis in NZ media? I had a look at the NZ Herald, is that considered a decent paper? My tabloid alarm sounded a bit when I saw their main headline involved gypsies starting a fight on a Ryanair flight...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Swiwi, where should one go for rugby analysis in NZ media? I had a look at the NZ Herald, is that considered a decent paper? My tabloid alarm sounded a bit when I saw their main headline involved gypsies starting a fight on a Ryanair flight...

TBH Neil there are not great options in NZ.

I like the rugby section of the roar website (australian-based). They have a mixture of journalist and amateur articles.

Here are a few articles to get you started

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/07/wrap-ireland-finally-day-wales-lose-way/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/06/five-talking-points-irelands-win-new-zealand/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/07/ireland-achieve-historic-win-new-zealand/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How did Joe's insight into French rugby help there though? They were always going to try arm wrestle a result.

Venjur's point was that Ireland have a good track record against France under Schmidt, which they do. One one-point defeat hardly sully's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe we're starting to see the influence of Farrell?

I thought the line speed and defensive width were pretty much unprecedented in the annals of Irish rugby :)

.....and the fitness levels - maybe the scent of victory eased the fatigue, but coming into the last 10 minutes, the Ireland players looked a lot more energised than was previously the case in past matches.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe we're starting to see the influence of Farrell?

I thought the line speed and defensive width were pretty much unprecedented in the annals of Irish rugby :)

.....and the fitness levels - maybe the scent of victory eased the fatigue, but coming into the last 10 minutes, the Ireland players looked a lot more energised than was previously the case in past matches.

Joe made a point of saying that he picked a team that was as fit as possible to do the 80 minutes and Drico previously pointed out that they've made changes to training following 2013 to replicate fatigue late in games and learn how to manage it.

Interestingly, I would imagine that Lancaster and Farrell are on a similar page when it comes to defence which may be helping some of the Leinster lads adapt somewhat to the national setup.

• Advertisement

Makes sense then that POM or SOB didn't get near the team given their current match fitness.

Advertisement