Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it cruelty?

Options
  • 05-11-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So my neighbour has an older medium sized cocker spaniel who is a backyard dog. My neighbour will not allow him inside, he is currently sleeping in a plastic dog house (with a badly patched up hole in the roof and no bedding). He is well fed and has water but I'm worried about his lack of shelter and the falling temperatures (it's supposed to fall below freezing this weekend). Should I try talking to the owner, call the ISPCA or just stay out of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The last option is your best bet ;)

Sounds like the dog is well looked after and you just disagree with the dog being outside, but that doesn't constitute animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The dog is fine, he's probably more used to being outside than if he had been brought up inside and moved out for the first time. You'd be surprised how well dogs can withstand cold once they have adequate food supplies to regulate their temperature.
    If you have any old blankets or stuff I guess it wouldn't hurt to offer them to the neighbour for the dog, just say that you'd prefer to see them being used instead of thrown out. But bear in mind that if they get wet in the doghouse it'd be a lot more uncomfortable for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So my neighbour has an older medium sized cocker spaniel who is a backyard dog. My neighbour will not allow him inside, he is currently sleeping in a plastic dog house (with a badly patched up hole in the roof and no bedding). He is well fed and has water but I'm worried about his lack of shelter and the falling temperatures (it's supposed to fall below freezing this weekend). Should I try talking to the owner, call the ISPCA or just stay out of it?
    How do you know that there is no bedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Straw can work well because it's easier to dry and the dog can move it around more themselves for their own comfort. The no bedding is the bit I'd have trouble with- maybe talk to the neighbour about that aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Why not pull the old "I bought this bed for my/relatives/friends dog but he won't use it, I was wondering if your dog would like it instead?" ;) You wouldn't have to fork out a huge amount for a little guy like a Cocker Spaniel, and you might be able to get an idea of the neighbour's approachability (is that a word?) on the subject of their dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
Advertisement