Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF sheets

Options
  • 05-11-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Wheres the best place to buy MDF sheets? I am looking to build my own book shelves. ALso do they cut to size if I supply the measurements?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

B&q will cut to size but the sheet would be more expensive than at a regular builders providers (who would be less likely to cut it for you - some do)

Goes against the whole DIY principles but maybe look at the price of ikea shelving for comparison, you could Always modify if you need it to fit somewhere specific, and it's pre finished

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

You could try Larry's DIY on Grace Park Road, I've used him a few times and find him great. Cheaper than B&Q etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you buy fancy prefinished sheets to use as a headboard for example?

Edit, actually just googled it and came across this - might be of some use -

http://www.woodworkers.ie/sheets/sheets_mdf.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

@Vicwatson - not sure if your question is directed at me or not, to be honest I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything like that. All I've ever seen is the usual range of timbers/sheets etc. that can be cut to size. In saying that, I'm sure he could cut your desired shape if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

18MM MDF in B&Q is €24 a sheet including vat and they'll cut it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    @Vicwatson - not sure if your question is directed at me or not, to be honest I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything like that. All I've ever seen is the usual range of timbers/sheets etc. that can be cut to size. In saying that, I'm sure he could cut your desired shape if needed.

Nah it was open to the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Horseboxdude

Thanks. I will try the place on grace park road and then B&Q. I had used woodworkers.ie before but thought they had closed down. I'm building shelves into an alcove so want to build something bespoke and dont really want to buy ikea and try trim or modify.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of finish will you be going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Planed timber will give you a much nicer finish than MDF, though I suppose beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I avoid most manufactured timber unless I really need to use it and then tend to get plywood.

Advertisement