Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance pass-the-parcel....

Options
  • 04-11-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Has anyone else received a letter recently from a well known pet insurance provider saying they are no longer covering policies and passing them on to another company? (no names to be mentioned please!)
    This is the second time I have had this happen. The first was when Tesco pulled out (as they are defunct I think they are ok to mention). I know it will be hard to find comprehensive cover for my dog elsewhere as she has had some medical issues in the past (now resolved thank goodness) but is there any comeback/advice other pet owners could offer?
    I don't think the financial ombudsman can do much, as it doesn't seem to be against the rules to decline/withdraw cover. I have seen a few UK articles about the reduction in pet insurance policies available as the companies found they were making such a loss.
    I've been paying quite high premiums since my dog's illness and had hoped it would come down eventually, but this is bad news for premiums and proper cover I think. She was so ill she actually maxed out the limit anyway for that condition, but I am worried that a new company will try and tag on a refusal to any claim as it was immune related, which is a bit of a catch-all term.
    They have only allowed till Nov 14th for me to decide whether to agree I can be "passed on", (at least, my details) even though the cover is not up for renewal till the end of February.
    Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

If it is the company that cannot be mentioned here, then no, I haven't received anything.....yet! I'm insured with them and have just renewed my insurance with them 3 weeks ago for my 2 woofs. I'll be fairly pee'd off if this happens as I tried changing insurer a year ago and my older dog was refused insurance due to a one off illness/operation he had 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I've been told by my vet to avoid like the plague the company who would be "getting" me in February.
    Sorry to cause alarm, perhaps I should have said "one of the pet insurers" and not a well known one. If you put in Tesco pet insurance the "back-up No. 2," whom I got passed to when they pulled out can be logically calculated.
    Pet insurer No. 3, well, I can find no news of No.2 passing on their business to them online, so perhaps they just want to get rid of me. Mind you, No. 2 had huge losses last year, so it might be part of their plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Am I the only one lost here? You can name everyone except the one in the sticky...is that the one you're being changed to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

tk123 wrote: »
    Am I the only one lost here? You can name everyone except the one in the sticky...is that the one you're being changed to?!

I'm lost too.......the OP needs to clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Im with 123.ie and have been told I'm being passed to he who must not be named.

Pretty miffed about it but what can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I'm lost too.......the OP needs to clarify

Ok, so if I specifically say "no names" and there is only one that cannot be named.....

By its very nature, if I clarify that part, then we'll have to stop discussing it. (I can't tell you, cos if I tell you I'll have to kill you :cool:)

But glad to hear someone else has got the same update, thanks loveisdivine, I'm going to ring my current ones today and say no, I do not agree to them passing on my details to the other one.

Might as well fully jump ship or start self-insuring if I get no say in the companies I choose to do business with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

smunchkins wrote: »
    Ok, so if I specifically say "no names" and there is only one that cannot be named.....

Fair enough but you have insurer #1,2 and 3 mentioned which was causing confusion..

I'm with Allianz so no help to you lol.

Advertisement