Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I've purchased a blacklisted phone.

Options
  • 04-11-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I stupidly bought an iPhone 6 of someone I don't know and I believe that it's been blocked and blacklisted. The phone won't accept any network sim card. I have reason to believe the person got this phone by getting it on contract and then not paying the bill. Without getting into the details, its really impossible or me to get my money back or even contact the seller. Is there ANY way of having the phone unblocked? I've seen so many sites online but I'm scared to try any. Should I just give up and dump the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No you can't get it unlocked. It's only good for parts.

What's it saying when you put in a sim?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sell it in the U.K. It's only blocked from Irish networks.
    In future, buy from adverts from a trusted seller with good feedback and a history of selling decent stuff. I know that sounds harsh now but for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

This is why I never buy second hand phones. Seller could have had the phone insured and reported it lost or stolen just so they could make an insurance claim on it. In this case it would get black listed also. Did it ever work with a sim even when you tested it out? Surely you made sure your sim was working in it right?

Sorry you got screwed by the way, but like someone already mentioned, you could sell it on ebay to someone in the UK or another country where it wont be black listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Iphones imei can be blacklisted, this can make the phone unusable anywhere not just in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Phone won't work anywhere. I believe you can buy a replacement motherboard to make use of the phone but unless you can fit it yourself it is not really economical.

An expensive doorstop I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement