Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop advice

Options
  • 04-11-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My 14" Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop is on its last legs it has become very slow, screen brightness is very poor and is constantly prompting me that i have no disc space left. As I have no knowledge of computers I have over the last few years got a repair shop to do the necessary maintanence they have now advised that I would be better of replacing it. I use it mainly for browsing the web,emails,storing photograghs and watching horse racing on via the bookmakers sites. My main requirements would be something fast and with a lot of storage space all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's a very old laptop. I'd bet it's 10 years old at this point. Not too bad!

How much money do you have to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

Yes it has served me well I was thinking it must be 10 or maybe even 11 years old. I rarely remove it from its desk so it hasn't had a lot of hardship. I would like to purchase something reliable that wouldn't have to be replaced after a few years. Pricewise I would be hopeing I would be able to get something suitable for around the 800 euro mark.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does it have to be a laptop at all? Would a desktop be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Does it have to be a laptop at all? Would a desktop be better?
    You mention storing photos. I presume you have a backup solution?

I suppose it wouldn't have to be a laptop its just the size of it sits neatly on the desk alongside the tv and if i ran into any problems its so much more convenient to bring to a repair shop. I got most of the most of the photo's backed up on a portable hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

machu wrote: »
    I suppose it wouldn't have to be a laptop its just the size of it sits neatly on the desk alongside the tv and if i ran into any problems its so much more convenient to bring to a repair shop. I got most of the most of the photo's backed up on a portable hard drive.

Check out these puppies - they're smaller than a laptop. I have no experience of them, but they may be an option.

You can also get Very Small Form Factor desktops that are incredibly portable too.

Thanks but due to my complete lack of knowledge these puppies don't e even resemble a pc to me. I have only ever used a laptop and find them pretty straightforward to use but the replies so far are favouring a desktop is there that much of a difference between the two or is it you pay a premium for a laptop with similar specs and if so could someone be able to show me an example thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

machu wrote: »
    Thanks but due to my complete lack of knowledge these puppies don't e even resemble a pc to me. I have only ever used a laptop and find them pretty straightforward to use but the replies so far are favouring a desktop is there that much of a difference between the two or is it you pay a premium for a laptop with similar specs and if so could someone be able to show me an example thanks.

What I linked was the equivalent of a desktop. :eek:

They are actually this small when you remove all the expansion slots and power supplies that a desktop needs. :cool:

Laptops have to include a monitor and keyboard, so they are huge in comparison. :rolleyes:

Yes the NUC needs a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse, but you can get cheap wireless keyboard and mouse in Lidl/Aldi and use a TV as the monitor. ;)

The NUC's option from Intel looks a nice set up has anyone an opinion on these devices good or bad compared to an ordinary desktop or even laptop ? Also while looking on the Intel website the Dell Inspiron 5567 caught my eye due to the reliabilty of my old machine. Would this be a good option for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I just went back to a desktop, simply because they are more reliable and if anything serious goes wrong its a matter of replacing a card only. The repair shop told me that there is an inherent life expectancy built in to laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement