Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus cancelled flight. Waiting 2 months on any feedback

Options
  • 04-11-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi All,

Back on September 3rd, we were due to fly with AerLingus from Bilbao to Dublin. When I went to check in for our flight online, I got a contact helpdesk message. So I rang them and was informed that our flight was cancelled and they could book us on the flight the following day.

So I had to book another hotel for that night as the hotel we were staying in was booked out.

I submitted my claim on the 4th of September for expenses and compensation. Provided all receipts. I got an automated email telling me that they were addressing a large volume of correspondence and there might be a delay in responding to me. No indication of when to expect a reply.

Nothing since. I've rang Aer Lingus twice, once after 2 weeks where I was told it could take a month to get back to me, and again after a month when I was told it could take 2 months. Both times this was to a generic helpdesk and was informed there was no email address or direct number to speak to the department handling these complaints.

I'm Fed up. Is there anything I can do to elicit a response from them? Anyone I can complain to higher than AerLingus that might force them to at least respond or give me an indication of when I can hear back from them?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

They usually react very quickly to posts on Facebook and twitter so I'd start there

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

Thanks Connor_ie, I've just messaged them through Facebook. If no response I'm going to post directly onto their facebook page.
    I'm not on twitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

I was supposed to be on a flight to Spain yesterday and they were overbooked.
    They put me up in a local hotel and im flying out today. I got €400 each too. Right at the desk they wrote me a cheque. Id nearly go for that again :) Cant fault them. Though if I had of looked like I was going to give in and just walk away it might have been different.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Took my husband from July until last week to get a refund issued for a hotel after a flight we took from Shannon was cancelled and we went out the next day. Aer Lingus are sloooooooooooow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just as a comparison, requested a refund online from KLM on October 30, my credit card was credited today, so 8/9 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Just as a comparison, requested a refund online from KLM on October 30, my credit card was credited today, so 8/9 days

Do you mean refund of a flight ?

Aer Lingus will do that quickly alright but they'll drag out any compensation claim and hope you give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

maximum12 wrote: »
    Do you mean refund of a flight ?

Aer Lingus will do that quickly alright but they'll drag out any compensation claim and hope you give up.

Yes, just the flight, didn't require any compensation

That's my thinking.. They're hoping I'll go away. Not happening. Still waiting evem though their rep on facebook told me I'd hear within a few days. I'm giving them tomorrow then I'm going to harass them again..

So I got an email last night informing me that they'd authorized a cheque for the amount that covers our expenses.
    They acknowledged that we didn't get any notice of the cancellation.
    No mention of compensation which we're entitled to. So I'm now chasing them for that!

I'll keep ye updated as to when/if I receive the cheque covering expenses or the compensation.

So after chasing them.. finally got an email indicating we are entitled to compension in the amount of 250. However I believe it should be 250 per person so for the two of us should be 500. Does anyone know if compensation is per booking or per person? Have to say I feel like they are doing their best not to pay anything. Been a fight to get this far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

It's definitely per person. Like 100% certain.

Advertisement