Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wideband LNB .... Sky Q Hybrid/Smart LNB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No, it's not smart at all. The hybrid LNB is basically a standard quad and wideband LNB in a single unit. Four legacy outputs and two wideband outputs.

The SkyQ compatible dSCR multiswitch could be regarded as smart as the output can be either SCR or legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Cush wrote: »
    No, it's not smart at all. The hybrid LNB is basically a standard quad and wideband LNB in a single unit. Four legacy outputs and two wideband outputs.

The SkyQ compatible dSCR multiswitch could be regarded as smart as the output can be either SCR or legacy.

Reports I have read on line (yes I know not to believe everything :) ) indicate that all outputs can be either wideband or legacy ....... and that from different sources.

Are you aware of any tests that have been done by switching connections etc?
    I don't have the necessary equipment to test.

Can you post links to these sources?

How do these sources say this switching is done?

Once piece of information ℹI came across that is more believable is that the SkyQ receiver can connect to an SCR LNB as the switching is already available in the receiver.

Can you post links to these sources?

How do these sources say this switching is done?

Once piece of information ℹI came across that is more believable is that the SkyQ receiver can connect to an SCR LNB as the switching is already available in the receiver.

I'm sorry, I did not keep references to where I read this. :( I read those while doing general research about various LNBs.

Maybe a Sky Q installer could state definitely that Sky Q will not operate correctly unless two specific LNB outputs are used, and that using any of the others prevents Sky Q from operating correctly.
    That would be definitive I guess ...... and I would be more inclined to believe a known boards poster that something I read on line from unknown persons.

Did a little research on this this evening, it does appear that the hybrid could be smart indeed.

This from a regular DS forum poster on a Humax forum
    Just confirmed this info. For Sky Q domestic users with legacy kit a new hybrid lnb with 6 outputs can be fitted. This lnb is smart enough to recognise what it's connected to. Either.

1 A Sky Q Vertical polarisation wideband input
    2 A Sky Q Horizontal polarisation wideband input
    3 A legacy band and polarisation switching tuner.

A poster with the hybrid lnb was kind enough to connect a Sky Q input cable to a TV with a satellite tuner and confirmed the 4 possible band/polarisation options all worked.

Pretty impressive actually

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/sky-q-preview-heck/page/3#post-48125

and a Sky Community forum discussion - http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Hybrid-LNB-interesting-account/td-p/2501103

The question, the hybrid LNB outputs appears to be legacy by default, if so how is the switching to wideband mode achieved? I know the SkyQ setup menu - LNB Type has an SCR option, is there a Wideband or other option? What is the process to switch to wideband mode?

400836.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for finding corroborating information. ;)
    It means that the LNB is very versatile, and could be the LNB of choice for future proofing a legacy set up.

I have not as yet found anything about the number of outputs that can concurrently be used in wideband mode.

Could this LNB feed three Sky Q boxes?

Possibly, but Sky will only supply one per account.

Possibly, but Sky will only supply one per account.

I was thinking of the LNB capabilities, and not considering any limitation Sky might place on their service offerings ;)

I was thinking of the LNB capabilities, and not considering any limitation Sky might place on their service offerings ;)

We won't know for sure until someone can test it with 2 or 3 receivers, neighbours/friends etc.

We won't know for sure until someone can test it with 2 or 3 receivers, neighbours/friends etc.

It is rather disconcerting that there appears to be no technical information available on its capabilities .... from any source I could find.

• Advertisement

@ The Cush ...... I wondered if you had come across any further info on this LNB which might detail its capabilities?

I have not read anything new at all. :(

@ The Cush ...... I wondered if you had come across any further info on this LNB which might detail its capabilities?

I have not read anything new at all. :(

No, haven't seen anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Thanks for finding corroborating information.  ;)
    It means that the LNB is very versatile, and could be the LNB of choice for future proofing a legacy set up.

I have not as yet found anything about the number of outputs that can concurrently be used in wideband mode.

As far as I know only (any) two outputs can be used in wideband mode. But it does not matter as there are no band or polarity switching voltages with Sky Q if you wanted multiple boxes you could connect to the same pair of outputs with a splitter.

winston_1 wrote: »
    As far as I know only (any) two outputs can be used in wideband mode. But it does not matter as there are no band or polarity switching voltages with Sky Q if you wanted multiple boxes you could connect to the same pair of outputs with a splitter.

If any two can be used in wideband mode, while the other four are used in legacy mode, what is the limiting factor that determines that two more of the 'legacy' connections can not be used in wideband mode .... or indeed all six?

I thought all six could be wideband simultaneously, depending on the signal sent to them from the STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

Yeah I can confirm Hybrid LNB works with x3 Sky Q main boxes simultaneously no problems
    We sharing one dish in between 3 apartments and Sky installer used only one dish & hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Messi Lingard

Gatoh wrote: »
    Yeah I can confirm Hybrid LNB works with x3 Sky Q main boxes simultaneously no problems
    We sharing one dish in between 3 apartments and Sky installer used only one dish & hybrid

Hi,
    Can anyone give me a link to this lnb?
    I've got sky q but and the wires ready to go in another room.. but I want to be able to move the sky q box in and out of my man cave when i have people over.
    Thanks

Hi,
    Can anyone give me a link to this lnb?
    I've got sky q but and the wires ready to go in another room.. but I want to be able to move the sky q box in and out of my man cave when i have people over.
    Thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Way-Hybrid-LNB-HD/dp/7555564149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529228307&sr=8-1&keywords=Sky+Hybrid+LNB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So does a sky q box still need 2 feeds from the lnb to watch/record?
    Wasn't that the same with Sky plus?
    Or can you just record more now?

So does a sky q box still need 2 feeds from the lnb to watch/record?
    Wasn't that the same with Sky plus?
    Or can you just record more now?

SkyQ requires 2 feeds to carry the 2 polarisations separately, full band down each cable. That way all channels and polarisations are available at the receiver for multiple tuners. SkyQ has 8/12 tuners depending on the box, 4/6 for recording.

Some new SkyQ compatible LNBs on the market

The first is a non-smart Hybrid LNB - visiblewave VHK6 – Hybrid LNB 6-output (2 x Wideband, 4 x Quad)
    Fixed 2 x Wideband, 4 x Quad outputs, looks more compact than the Sky supplied hybrid version.

vhk6.jpg

The second is a SkyQ compatible dSCR LNB - Global Invacom Universal dCSS LNB (GLODCSSLNB)
    Compatible with all SCR standards - EN50494 (SCR legacy) and EN50607 (dCSS) and dSCR/Sky Q

12918-orig.jpg

• Advertisement

That second LNB pictured is rather interesting.
    In comparison to my present Inverto Unicable LNB, this one is rather slim, and should facilitate two LNBs side-by-side to receive closely spaced satellites from a single dish.
    The width of the Inverto in this regard is problematic.

In addition this attracted my attention:-
    Enables a single coaxial cable connection to Sky Q & other multimedia set top boxes whilst allowing terrestrial to be carried simultaneously.

... but as I do not see any connection on the LNB itself, presumably this must be achieved with an external combiner of some sort.

Spec sheet:
    https://www.hypex.co.uk/files/attachments/18939/dCSS%20LNB%20Spec.pdf

... but as I do not see any connection on the LNB itself, presumably this must be achieved with an external combiner of some sort.

I presume they're referring to the use of a satellite/terrestrial combiner after the LNB where the signals won't conflict like a wideband LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

The second is a SkyQ compatible dSCR LNB - Global Invacom Universal dCSS LNB (GLODCSSLNB)
    Compatible with all SCR standards - EN50494 (SCR legacy) and EN50607 (dCSS) and dSCR/Sky Q

According to specs, this supports:
    - 32 User Bands in Static & Hybrid mode
    - 24 User Bands in Dynamic mode

How many Sky Q boxes can be run off this LNB? I've never seen this info with respect to these dSCR LNBs. Or is the assumption that they are only to be used with one Sky Q box?

I presume that you couldn't run a Sky Q box AND a standard Unicable-enabled receiver simultaneously, seeing how the bands are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I just got a new Gigablue UHD UE 4K set top box. At the moment I just have two coax fed into the sat tuners and one terrestrial giving me 4 tuner capability. There are two DVB-S2 FCB tuners on the box. Is this the LNB that I will need to connect to these tuners with one cable from the dish so all eight tuners are available?

Apogee wrote: »
    According to specs, this supports:
    - 32 User Bands in Static & Hybrid mode
    - 24 User Bands in Dynamic mode

How many Sky Q boxes can be run off this LNB? I've never seen this info with respect to these dSCR LNBs. Or is the assumption that they are only to be used with one Sky Q box?

I presume that you couldn't run a Sky Q box AND a standard Unicable-enabled receiver simultaneously, seeing how the bands are different?

You can run multiple Unicable-enabled receivers simultaneously from the one LNB and so *should* be able to run multiple Sky Q boxes also ....... IF Sky complied with the specifications and allows the user access to the necessary settings. :)
    A Sky Q box has 12 tuners according to specs I read, so 2 of them could use 24 tuner outputs .... IF the user can get at the settings.

I would not be surprised if the user had no access, but maybe someone who has such a set up will post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 raceroad

Some new SkyQ compatible LNBs on the market

The first is a non-smart Hybrid LNB -
    Fixed 2 x Wideband, 4 x Quad outputs, looks more compact than the Sky supplied hybrid version.
    Does this LNB provide two different (1x vertical / 1x horizontal) WB-signals already with DC-supply, or are control signals of a Q-box necessary to let the outputs switch to the different directions of polarisation? In the attached PDF band switching is only described for the legacy ports, but that’s not clear enough.

Background: I live in Germany (… sorry for my poor English), so I don’t use a Q-box. Nevertheless I bought a sky 6-way hybrid LNB about a year ago. Maybe due to the characteristic positions of the six outputs, I thought that this LNB has two WB-outputs (fixed) and four legacys. This would have been perfect to serve the inputs of a WB-compatible external CSS-router and up to four tuners of elder receivers, which need legacy signals. But I had to realize, that all six outputs of this LNB can be used either for legacy od WB. So far I couldn’t find any information about the commands used to let the ports switch to the two WB-modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

raceroad wrote: »
    Does this LNB provide two different (1x vertical / 1x horizontal) WB-signals already with DC-supply, or are control signals of a Q-box necessary to let the outputs switch to the different directions of polarisation? In the attached PDF band switching is only described for the legacy ports, but that’s not clear enough.

Background: I live in Germany (… sorry for my poor English), so I don’t use a Q-box. Nevertheless I bought a sky 6-way hybrid LNB about a year ago. Maybe due to the characteristic positions of the six outputs, I thought that this LNB has two WB-outputs (fixed) and four legacys. This would have been perfect to serve the inputs of a WB-compatible external CSS-router and up to four tuners of elder receivers, which need legacy signals. But I had to realize, that all six outputs of this LNB can be used either for legacy od WB. So far I couldn’t find any information about the commands used to let the ports switch to the two WB-modes.

That 6 way hybrid is only for Sky Q ie one Sky Q box (2 cables out) and 4 legacy outputs.

They didn't follow the spec for generic wideband. Its their own interpretation so is useless outside a Sky Q box I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 raceroad

Thanks for your answer. But as I wrote, meanwhile I know that all six outputs of sky’s 6-way hybrid LNB are switchable. So this LNB is not suitable for my purpose.

My question was not about sky’s 6-way hybrid LNB, but about the VHK6 of visiblewave. Just an hour ago I sent a similar question to visiblewave, and they replied, that only supply voltage is needed.

raceroad wrote: »
    but about the VHK6 of visiblewave. Just an hour ago I sent a similar question to visiblewave, and they replied, that only supply voltage is needed.

Thanks for the confirmation, that was my understanding, 2 fixed wideband outputs similar to Sky's own supplied standard 2 output wideband LNB.

Regarding the SkyQ smart hybrid LNB, I understand that the SkyQ receiver sends a proprietary switching signal to the required outputs which switches them over from legacy to wideband, each output is legacy by default.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the confirmation, that was my understanding, 2 fixed wideband outputs similar to Sky's own supplied standard 2 output wideband LNB.

Regarding the SkyQ smart hybrid LNB, I understand that the SkyQ receiver sends a proprietary switching signal to the required outputs which switches them over from legacy to wideband, each output is legacy by default.

The big question is what is that signal ...... could it possibly be captured and duplicated?

Advertisement