Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog fence information

Options
  • 02-11-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a suitation where I need a dog fence but I need to know how close the dog can get to the fence without receiving a shock.
    If the dog can go 2-4 feet with no shock this is ok but if it shocks from a further distance it will be of no use to me. I have read online but cannot see the distance from wire info.
    Can anyone answer my question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Electric fences are no use. Invest in a proper physical fence instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

<snip>
    I have removed my post now that I'm aware that the op was using the information for research related to using electrical shock gadgetry.
    I don't appreciate what you did here at all op. Duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My neighbours dogs stay a good 6 feet away except the occasions when they are out on the road when the batteries run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

next to DBB's comment, plenty of dogs will ignore radiofences over time.Or if in Panik. I think you're better off getting a normal fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

If you have already bought it, the only reliable way to know is to pop it around your own neck and walk to the fence.

If you haven't already bought it, then be advised that there are frequently posts of dogs in pounds and rescues found wearing their electric shock collar. They are at best ineffective, and at worst cruel imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

If you have already bought it, the only reliable way to know is to pop it around your own neck and walk to the fence.

If you haven't already bought it, then be advised that there are frequently posts of dogs in pounds and rescues found wearing their electric shock collar. They are at best ineffective, and at worst cruel imo.

Same advice should go to people using Prong Collars etc. If you have ever seen Victoria Stilwells "Its me or the dog" she regularly has people say "oh yeah I tried it on my arm...it doesn't hurt". She always tells people to put it around your own neck so you can get a good judgement of what your dog feels (obviously the skin is more sensitive here than on your arm). I think its fantastic advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Ashbx wrote: »
    Same advice should go to people using Prong Collars etc. If you have ever seen Victoria Stilwells "Its me or the dog" she regularly has people say "oh yeah I tried it on my arm...it doesn't hurt". She always tells people to put it around your own neck so you can get a good judgement of what your dog feels (obviously the skin is more sensitive here than on your arm). I think its fantastic advice!

Read my post again.
    I never mentioned putting it on a dog did I.
    Some people are very assuming

What are you putting it on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

What are you putting it on then?

Can't say in case I patent the idea

In that case:

Either (a) Boards is not to be used for market research, commercial purposes etc.

or (b) your trolling.

Either way, I'm not comfortable with this research of electric shock collars from someone being evasive about its purpose.
    Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement