Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no adverts on RTÉ Player through Sky Go?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Why do Sky Go users get an experience of RTÉ Player with no adverts appearing before shows launch? Do Sky pay RTÉ for this level of access to the RTÉ Player? How come Joe Soap has to endure endless adverts at the beginning of every single show they launch through the website yet they have spent money on their TV licence? It's a total rip off compared to BBC's ad free offering for all UK users.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Likely as not the numbers accessing RTE Player through Sky Go are so small as to not warrant selling adverts. (Thanks to your kind post, they've just gone up by at least one though....)

I do share your pain. My pet peeve is the forced viewing of adverts when I want to watch live TV on RTE Player - usually football. I know they are trying to make up for lost revenue from advertising, but my television does not make me watch three minutes of adverts when I switch it on (and if it did, I'd switch it on at least three minutes before the show I want to watch). Moreover it doesn't make me watch the same three minutes of adverts every five minutes when the signal drops because the train I'm travelling on has gone under a bridge or something. Makes watching any live TV on RTE Player such a painful experience as to be not worth it. I tried watching a Champions League game on a train a few weeks ago and eventually settled for live text updates on the Sky Sports app because I had seen more repeats of the adverts than the game.

You mention the BBC advert free experience. But the BBC does not sell advertising on any U.K. Service. The revenue that RTE would need to continue to provide its service without selling advertising would require a substantial increase in the licence fee that would be unpalatable to most viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To be honest none of the broadcasters have go video advertising right.

No OD programme should have an opening set of adverts. At the very most one and only if the programme is sponsored. After that advertising as TV does won't work, short adverts work better during a show online and viewers are getting more and more used to ad free content.

also the continued repeat ad is even more annoying, something that isn't apparent on TV.

And yes live TV should just start just like when you turn on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

More than likely the person putting it on Sky go was told not to. Sky go need a fully packaged program yet on rte's website you give it a trigger to play a ad break and it would pull up a ad break on your viewing habits and cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just put the kettle on and watch the water boil for a couple of minutes, far more interesting than ads=)

Seriously though I remember during the last rugby WC the ads breaks consisted of 4 minutes before kick off and then at half time a 5 minute ad break followed by about 90 seconds analysis and then a 4 minute ad break before going straight to the 2nd half. So many ads it was painful and more often than not it was the same 8 or 9 ads all over again. After a couple of games of that crap I just paused the coverage 15 minutes before kick off and then fast forwarded all the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Davdee1

Off topic but regards rte player on sky, does anyone know why eastenders not available on catch up. I know its repeated on W but is it a rights issue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Davdee1

Off topic but regards rte player on sky, does anyone know why eastenders not available on catch up. I know its repeated on W but is it a rights issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Davdee1 wrote: »

Odd. It's on the RTÉ Player app

Advertisement