Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Sligo Town Public Toilet thread

Options
  • 02-11-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to bring up the subject of Public Toilet Conveniences in Sligo Town (or lack of official one) but I sorta liked hijacked a thread on facebook and was told (nicely) to go off and start my own discussion - was going to resurect old boards threads on it but i didnt think it was allowed in the rules so i thought I would start up a new thread.

Others had told me that there are enough 'Public Toilets' already in Sligo but that there is no signage in the Town that point visitors and others to these so called 'Public' toilets.

I had suggested maybe an attended Toilet block be built in the wine street car park , the back of Tesco Arcade (attendant maybe employed by the council for security to stop it getting vandalised and to keep it clean) nothing fancy just a standard breezeblock built convenience.

Sure it would take up a few car parking spaces and I understand that sometimes the Tesco wine street car park can get congested already as it is with people looking for parking spaces, but it could be tucked next to the trolley park shelter just there.

For anyone who has visited the abominable existing Tesco Toilets in the store that are alawys smelly, dirty and too small (and I think these are supposed to double up as the toilets for O'Hehires cafe in the Tesco arcade, I think they are anyway as I am pretty sure the Cafe itself does not have its own public toilets/restroom ) maybe Tesco & O'hehirs could come together and build and maintain the new toilet block if the council have run out of money and cannot afford to build a new toilet block.

What are other people thoughts on it - does it show Sligo Town in a good light for the visitors and the like not to have a centrally located Public Toilets facility for the town.

Or do you think Sligo Town Centre is serviced enough with enough public Toilets placed in the Quayside Centre, Glasshouse and town hall?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Both Shopping Centres could do with adequate toilet facilities for customers. I believe you have to head to the Coffee shop in Johnsons Court if you're out and about around the immediate area. Quayside has that well catered for, but seems somewhat derelict in a sense that there are many vacant units inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Bit of a trek if you shopping in Tesco and need a pee badly and you have to walk all the way over to the Quayside , sure you could use the in-store smelly Tesco toilet if its not 'out of order' or 'closed for cleaning' (haha thats a good one) or cant get in there because there is more than 1 person in the toilet .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I didn't think Tesco had a toilet. Given the look of the building, I wouldn't be inclined to use it anytime soon. I think I'd rather piss in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The automatic toilet that was bought 15 years ago is still costing money in storage somewhere. Thats the only solution for Sligo. Except too many business folk didnt want it in any of the Car Parks or at JFK parade if I remember correctly. An auto cleaning toilet that costs €2 to use for 5 minutes before doors open is standard across EU. My unpopular opinion is that automatic public jacks should be used for a wee only to prevent having to hire security or cleaners. But what about the elderly and the disabled and pooers? They're fairing out OK now with no jacks so not an issue.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I didn't think Tesco had a toilet. Given the look of the building, I wouldn't be inclined to use it anytime soon. I think I'd rather piss in the street.

think it would be more hygienic to pee in the street - cannot believe a grocery supermarket and in the league of a major supermarket can get away with having such poor toilet conveniences for its public customers to use

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    The automatic toilet that was bought 15 years ago is still costing money in storage somewhere. Thats the only solution for Sligo. Except too many business folk didnt want it in any of the Car Parks or at JFK parade if I remember correctly. An auto cleaning toilet that costs €2 to use for 5 minutes before doors open is standard across EU. My unpopular opinion is that automatic public jacks should be used for a wee only to prevent having to hire security or cleaners. But what about the elderly and the disabled and pooers? They're fairing out OK now with no jacks so not an issue.

Hate the idea of those Automatic toilets, not only must they cost loads to buy I bet they are not that cheap to maintain, and when one person is in there thats it toilet is used up so if you have a cue of people waiting to go waiting outside because one person is in it thats no good either - blimey are they really €2 to use :eek:

EDIT: they should sell it while they can and re-invest the money into proper brick/block built public toilet thats what I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2013 Sligo Co. Co. AFS

Service Division C - Water Services

operation and maintenance of public conveniences, expenditure = 22,167

income = 650

2014 Sligo Co. Co. AFS

operation and maintenance of public conveniences, expenditure = 21,262

income = 696

blimey are they really €2 to use :eek:

I paid 50 cent in Berlin to use an automated toilet.

Geuze wrote: »
    2013 Sligo Co. Co. AFS

operation and maintenance of public conveniences, expenditure = 22,167

income = 650
    Geuze wrote: »
    2014 Sligo Co. Co. AFS

operation and maintenance of public conveniences, expenditure = 21,262

income = 696

Blimey - yes that is quite a deficit - mind you, I couldnt comment any further unless I saw a breakdown of how the expenditure come to that figure, obviously you would have the statutory expenses that wouldnt be able to improved on or where you could save money. - I wonder where the income figure came from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement