Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got new dog recently and want to know if he is ok while at work

Options
  • 02-11-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi there, we got a new dog recently. My wife works a few hours a day. Dog is active but we would like to know what it gets up to and if he is ok when we are not there.

Anybody set up a web cam or anything just to check it is not going stir crazy.
    Obviously asking neighbours if it was barking or anything too :)

Any suggestions on web cam ?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah there's a few ways you can do it. A web cam or you can even set up a laptop/ipad etc and Skype back (set Skype to auto answer) to see what he's up to. I got this web cam a few months ago and it's brilliant - you can connect to it from your phone and it had a mic too. You can also set it up to alert you to sound or noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Hooked

We have a Motorola 'pet-cam' that connects to wifi, and I have a Hubble app on my phone for checking in on my two. It can be set to record on motion detection and saves to the cloud.

They're rarely alone but it's nice to have the added security.

Also the camera can be controlled (turned) while live, and you can speak through the app & built in microphone in the camera.

I'll get the name of the camera and update the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Use an old phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

When I got my dog as a 12 week old puppy, I was advised to ignore him before I leave the house, so no cuddling, no emotional leave taking, as in "you poor thing, I won't be long" etc. He's now aged four, and I still ignore him when I leave, which he totally accepts. I can tell by his general demeanour that he's happy enough when I go. I've spied on him a few times by getting home early and peeking in the window (sad I know) and have only ever found him fast asleep. I get a great welcome when I come in but again, I play it cool for a few minutes before acknowledging him.

He's never suffered from separation anxiety, which certainly helps with my anxiety and guilt for leaving him to go to work! And he's a happy and confident dog the rest of the time.

I don't go for the whole ignoring thing. They get a kong and 'good dog.. see you later!'
    For my dogs ignoring them would make them think I was annoyed with them or they did something wrong...better that they're more excited to be getting their treat than wondering why I'm annoyed and then leaving them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

tk123 wrote: »
    I don't go for the whole ignoring thing. They get a kong and 'good dog.. see you later!'
    For my dogs ignoring them would make them think I was annoyed with them or they did something wrong...better that they're more excited to be getting their treat than wondering why I'm annoyed and then leaving them.

I suppose it's whatever Works for your dog, it just seems to work well with my dog and, as he won't eat when I'm not there, giving him a Kong or treat just won't work with him as it'll still be there when I get home (I did try it in the early days).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My dogs get a chew before I leave the house every time I leave the house. The cat gets one too :rolleyes: The "special needs" dog sees me put my coat on, and LEAPS for his chair, waiting for his chew, so there is no anxiety about being left alone, its just "yeah yeah so go, but GIVE ME MY CHEW"!!!!!!!!!!

op, what kind of dog? how old? how long ago did you get him?

Ive left a laptop pointing to the dogs beds, and skyped home, but they were always asleep :)

Its really important that your dog will be ok with being left alone, so its good that you are thinking this way. Most dogs just sleep all day, until you come home. Its a good idea that before your wife leaves the dog home alone for several hours, that he be taken out for a walk. The activity will tire him. He'll get to toilet. Before you leave the house, give him a treat/chew/kong. I like to leave the radio on so its not totally silent - the advantage of having noise in the house if you have close neighbours, is that the radio will desensitize him a bit from noises outside, and maybe prevent too much barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

an old android phone and the Alfred App will easily do the trick

I suppose it's whatever Works for your dog, it just seems to work well with my dog and, as he won't eat when I'm not there, giving him a Kong or treat just won't work with him as it'll still be there when I get home (I did try it in the early days).

My friend's dog is like that too - he saves the treat until they come home! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I've been looking at those camera devices for a while now. Was considering getting one that has the two way audio but I had wondered if that might confuse them and leave them stressed if they could hear me but didn't see me. I love to see the goings on, although I think what I believe happens is far more exciting than what actually happens.

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    I've been looking at those camera devices for a while now. Was considering getting one that has the two way audio but I had wondered if that might confuse them and leave them stressed if they could hear me but didn't see me. I love to see the goings on, although I think what I believe happens is far more exciting than what actually happens.

I 'called' them one time when I was around the corner - Lucy looked at the screen for two seconds and went back asleep and Bailey went out into the hall looking for me lol! Bailey does have sep. anxiety btw and would bark - I wanted to see if me popping up on the screen/hearing my voice would maybe interrupt it but it didn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

OP here.

He is a 18 month old male Bichon Frise. We got him a week ago and we were told he would be fine on his own for a few hours. It barks from when we close the door but I would like to know when he gets up to after that.

He gets walked about 3 times a day. We was out for about 25mins first thing this morning before I went to work. As soon we got back in from walk he was whimpering again. Needs constant entertainment while we are there so just concerned about his welfare when we are not there.

We got here mainly for our son who wanted a dog and are we making sacrifices when our son doesnt interact with the dog much at all.

We badly want this to work but dont want to be cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Hooked wrote: »
    We have a Motorola 'pet-cam' that connects to wifi, and I have a Hubble app on my phone for checking in on my two. It can be set to record on motion detection and saves to the cloud.

They're rarely alone but it's nice to have the added security.

Also the camera can be controlled (turned) while live, and you can speak through the app & built in microphone in the camera.

I'll get the name of the camera and update the post.

Ok - i MUST get this.Given the fact that i came home to a half eaten couch yesterday.Being able to roar NO through a speaker would most certainly deter this from happening again.And Hopefully not give my poor Lurcher a heart attack.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

We set it it up one day to see the same. Well twas more to test if it could be done. We have the PC hooked up to the TV. So just used a webcam pointed to where the dog normally is.. And set up a live feed to watch it..

Kinda for the same thing really, the dog a lazy breed so we just wanted to know did she actually do anything during the day when we werent there, and turns out nope she didnt. The most she done was got up and turned on the couch and barked at a cat outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I borrowed a video camera from work (maybe a friend has one you could borrow) and recorded my two for the day. They did bark at the odd person passing but other than that they went from sleeping on the couch, to sleeping on the floor, into the kitchen for a drink of water and back to the couch again.

Before that, when I came home I would greet the dogs and then get frustrated that they wouldn't leave me alone to have a cup of tea before I brought them out for their walk. After watching the video its put it into perspective for me. The dogs sleep all day I am in work and of course get excited to finally see me again. So I always give them 20 mins of my undivided attention for play time as soon as I get home, then have my cup of tea and then out for our walk.

Its always interesting to know what your dogs get up to but as the posts stated above, id say 90% sleep and wait for us to come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP here.

He is a 18 month old male Bichon Frise. We got him a week ago and we were told he would be fine on his own for a few hours. It barks from when we close the door but I would like to know when he gets up to after that.

He gets walked about 3 times a day. We was out for about 25mins first thing this morning before I went to work. As soon we got back in from walk he was whimpering again. Needs constant entertainment while we are there so just concerned about his welfare when we are not there.

We got here mainly for our son who wanted a dog and are we making sacrifices when our son doesnt interact with the dog much at all.

We badly want this to work but dont want to be cruel.

OP, few things. The dog is still quite young - he is in a brand new home, with strangers. After only a week, he is not settled and is probably stressed and anxious. He needs to get used to the routine in the house. This is your time to make life easier for the future, establish your routines, and everyone will be happier.
    Walks 3 times/day = great!
    Taking him out before you go to work = great for you (quiet time/fresh air/exercise) and the dog!
    WHen you say the dog is whimpering when you get back for a walk, he is probably anticipating the fact that you are leaving. Again, he is young, he is in a strange house, he is a bit nervous. Make sure he is fed, has a chew, has a warm cosy bed, leave the radio/tv on, when you leave. Then lots of company when you come home, but dont make a habit of too much fuss and attention etc. A little play when you come home, a walk to toilet etc, home and feed him, and then downtime with the family.
    You wont be cruel if you are feeding, homing, taking care of the dog - dont worry about that aspect. I hope you and your OH are bonding with the dog? and it with you?

Your son asked for the dog, he has to assume some responsibility - maybe a walk with the dog around the area (if hes old enough) or play time/bonding with the dog when he comes in from school.

Advertisement