Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and recommendation

Options
  • 02-11-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

Looking to get back into pc gaming with the arrival of BF1.

I have a rig that wont start and prob not worth resurrecting anyway, getting 8 beeps and wont start. was due to be upgraded anyway, quad core 3ghz with a 7870x2.

I want a decent setup for BF1 and able to play with all the bells and whistles turned on :)

The case off the old rig is a thermaltake armour and it has a 550 watt crorsair power supply in it, would this be ok to buy parts and start a new bulid?

Can anyone recommend a decent spec setup please. Been a while, last time everyone was buying from komplett. Who the best nowadays?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€201.63 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€24.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€70.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€125.65 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card (€209.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.70 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €766.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 18:20 CET+0100

If your PSU is 80+ Bronze or better then you should be fine with what you have.

SSD can be dropped to a 275Gb MX300 if you have hard drives you will reuse.

Next step up is the GTX 1070 / used GTX 980 Ti

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gizoter

Many thanks for reply, much appreciated.

How can i tell if my psu is 80+ bronze?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gizoter wrote: »
    Many thanks for reply, much appreciated.

How can i tell if my psu is 80+ bronze?
    Either by the exact model number, or a sticker on the box itself.

its a Crosair HX520W, cant see mention of Bronze on reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

80 Plus Certified, but not quite Bronze..

Maybe no harm in investing in the one in Kiki's build!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Out of interest, have you tried removing the graphics card and booting from the internal graphics on your old machine? It would help to know the actual parts in that machine.

thanks Shlippery.

Xenoronin, no didn't try that.. will today though. Would I need to enable onboard graphics on the Bios or would it auto do that do you know.

Should just pick it up I think. No harm in making sure though.

Removed the 7870x2 and still getting 8 beeps and no start. Could it be the monitor?

Anyone any ideas?

8 beeps seems to be graphics related (according to google). But it could be a motherboard or a anything and the beeps are just the symptom. If removing the graphics card and using the internal didn't work, then it sounds a bit borked tbh.

One more thing, can you reach the BIOS?

• Advertisement

No cant even get to the Bios, fooked me thinks.

Yep, sounds like it. Possibly a chance of a professional reviving it, but it'd be the cost of a new board. Everything Kiki has linked are quality parts. I don't think the RX470 is an upgrade over the 7870x2 so you'd probably be looking at a GTX1070 as an upgrade, or a RX480 as a small upgrade but much better power consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it would be more than a small upgrade as the 7870x2 relies on Crossfire, which is a bit of a disaster support wise - some games only running on a single card, some experiencing issues, some with really poor scaling (so 2nd card only used 10-30%), et al.

Least with a single RX480 you have rock solid, reliable performance.

Advertisement