Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Help/Support Someone With Insomnia?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

My partner has always been a light sleeper and on occasion has gone through bouts of insomnia. Currently though she's really struggling and this 'spell' just isn't disappearing. I can see she's very frustrated as she just can't shake it. She's booked in to an insomnia clinic at Bon Secours which I hope will help.

Traditionally she's always gone to bed early, between 9-10pm. Recently she's tried staying up later than normal to shake the insomnia and head to bed when she's absolutely shattered but so far she's struggled to get past 10pm. When she goes to bed she typically wakes up in the early morning and can't get back to sleep. I'd say she's maybe getting 4 hours interrupted sleep per night.

Personally I've taken to sleeping on the sofa, not using the PC in the evening and having all my clothes downstairs for the morning so as not to disturb her.

She is as I say taking steps to try and combat this but I feel so sorry for her. Currently she doesn't really have any quality of life as she's just knackered all the time. I'm wondering what I can do, if anything, to help her get through this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has she ever tried sleeping tablets? I had a particularly bad spell at the end of last year and start of this year - took tablets for a few nights about 30 mins before going to bed - they left me feeling very drowsy but gave me a nights sleep so after a few good nights I started to feel a bit better rested.
    After that, I came off them and transitioned to having a hot chocolate about 20 mins before bed while reading and it seemed to help me relax along with the sleep well app
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/sleep-well-hypnosis-meditation/id720652207?mt=8

I still use the app occasionally now when I'm struggling to get to sleep some nights

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hey Folks,

My partner has always been a light sleeper and on occasion has gone through bouts of insomnia. Currently though she's really struggling and this 'spell' just isn't disappearing. I can see she's very frustrated as she just can't shake it. She's booked in to an insomnia clinic at Bon Secours which I hope will help.

Traditionally she's always gone to bed early, between 9-10pm. Recently she's tried staying up later than normal to shake the insomnia and head to bed when she's absolutely shattered but so far she's struggled to get past 10pm. When she goes to bed she typically wakes up in the early morning and can't get back to sleep. I'd say she's maybe getting 4 hours interrupted sleep per night.

Personally I've taken to sleeping on the sofa, not using the PC in the evening and having all my clothes downstairs for the morning so as not to disturb her.

She is as I say taking steps to try and combat this but I feel so sorry for her. Currently she doesn't really have any quality of life as she's just knackered all the time. I'm wondering what I can do, if anything, to help her get through this?

No a few people whom was helped with Reiki session ? Would ye be open to trying that?

Advertisement