Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Required for Work - Recommendations

Options
  • 02-11-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

Need to invest in a laptop for work. Its mainly for home access to 3rd party programs and email, don't envisage it being too demanding on the machine but I'd also possibly consider Football Manager on those quiet days and maybe a bit of streaming. :D.

Budget: Circa €500

Intended use: Outlook, imaging systems and web based book keeping programmes

Mobility: not that important, mostly be kept at home, 13"-15" maybe but not a deal breaker

Warranty: Is a warranty important? Not that important but wont be fixing myself..

What Operating System do you use? Windows

Any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Has work got an IT Guy? If so, shouldn't he/she be speccing this for you?

Would they be concerned about you using a personal machine for business purposes? Or if they were stumping up the cash for this, allowing you to use a business machine for personal purposes? :rolleyes:

I had a director come to me one day in the office saying his laptop had been running really slowly. The thing was frickin riddled with viruses, as he let his kid use it in the evening time to play games and the kid had disabled the corporate AV and it hadn't updated in months. We had to lock down the AV clients after that and issue a stern directive to all laptop holders as to what was acceptable or not with the company laptops.

Or are you the company? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Thats a very good point, they probably should show more of an interest here :rolleyes:!

This will be my personal computer that I am paying for myself, however my employer will be giving me access to allow me to work from home.

Unfortunately they don't provide laptops but are surprisingly happy to update a machine if we have one.... hence I'm buying one to avoid the late nights over winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Whats the general opinion on refurbs?

I came across this laptop, appears to tick all the box's but its a refurbished one.. price is low which has me sceptical..

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/a1-refurbished-hp-envy-15-ah150sa-amd-a10-8700p-1.8ghz-8gb-1tb-amd-radeon-r-a1-n7h24ea-w10/version.asp

Advertisement