Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennel Dublin

Options
  • 01-11-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm away for 10 days at the end of the month and am fretting about Finn. He's nervous with strangers and I don't know how he'll do, I even think that home-boarding might be too much for him, but I know I'm probably just getting worked up.

As he's a lurcher and therefore has a light coat and zero body-fat I'm not that keen on him being in an outdoor run.

Any ideas, that aren't too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Nervous of strangers or just actively avoids any contact with strangers?

A heck of a lot of dogs I have come across who have a nervous disposition towards unfamiliar people (usually excluding typically one-person breeds like German Shepherds, I find they tend to always look for their human if they are in any way anxious) tend to do fine and adapt when their owners aren't around once they figure out the routine of the place they are staying in, it's the owners who often feel worse about the situation 90% of the time. :o It probably doesn't help much as it's merely anecdote, but I thought I would throw my two cents in from a couple of years experience.

Can't help too much with boarding kennel suggestions I'm afraid! I'm sure there are some boardsies who may be able to help in that area.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Sent you a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

VonVix wrote: »
    Nervous of strangers or just actively avoids any contact with strangers?

A heck of a lot of dogs I have come across who have a nervous disposition towards unfamiliar people (usually excluding typically one-person breeds like German Shepherds, I find they tend to always look for their human if they are in any way anxious) tend to do fine and adapt when their owners aren't around once they figure out the routine of the place they are staying in, it's the owners who often feel worse about the situation 90% of the time. :o It probably doesn't help much as it's merely anecdote, but I thought I would throw my two cents in from a couple of years experience.

Can't help too much with boarding kennel suggestions I'm afraid! I'm sure there are some boardsies who may be able to help in that area.

Barks and hides from any unknown people who come into the house. Can be coaxed out by ignoring and bribery. Generally dances away from people who try to pet him outdoors. He spent 2 days sitting in a corner avoiding eye contact when I brought him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Sometimes I wonder if when my current pets pass on if getting more is such a good idea - just for this reason. We get in a state when it comes to holidays and being away, what to do with the pets is just such an ordeal :(

Kylith, nothing much to help you with, except home boarding is probably the best option if hes a skinny/fine haired lurcher, if you can find a very sympathetic person. Hey wasnt there a boardsie on here who was starting home boarding?!?! But if hes going to be miserable for 2 days, at least he would have 8 days of less stress hopefully once he settles?

Could you put a coat on him, and an extra warm bed, and a heat lamp, and have him in a kennels where he wouldnt be stressed by people?? How is he with other dogs?

You have a month to get him used to someone before you leave. Could you find a local person, and just walk him in/out of there for 5 mins every day or something? Or could you get a local person/neighbour to come in twice/day and feed/walk him - again a month to get to know the new person? There might be a responsible/trustworthy TY kid, with more time on his/her hands?

I feel for you :(

aonb wrote: »

You have a month to get him used to someone before you leave. Could you find a local person, and just walk him in/out of there for 5 mins every day or something? Or could you get a local person/neighbour to come in twice/day and feed/walk him - again a month to get to know the new person? There might be a responsible/trustworthy TY kid, with more time on his/her hands?

I feel for you :(

I'm waiting to hear back from a friend, who just has to run it by their OH, so hopefully that'll pan out.

• Advertisement

Right, the places people kindly recommended by PM don't have availability and my friend can't do it. Any recommendations? I've been looking at Kilmessan Kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I would highly recommend Doonane Dog Boarding in Saggart. I had to put my two dogs into kennels for the first time early this year and Doonane has become a firm favourite with both of them ever since. The excitement when they jump out of the car when we arrive at Doonane is unreal!
    I hated the idea of putting them in boarding and had tried them out in a few other places for a night or two but none of them came close to the care and minding that they get from Emma and all the staff at Doonane.

Their website is doonanedogs.com should you wish to explore further.

PM me if you'd like to know more.

Hope it works out for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Doonanes is mega.I'm from Cork but when we visited her folks in Dublin, we brought the dogs there.they loved it.they used run in the gate, a really fun place for dogs.the upload photos on Facebook too everyday so you can see the pooch all you want!

We don't bring them anymore, we had a kid and the Nissan Note, as spacious as it seems doesn't do myself, herself, car seat+baby, buggy and the 59000 bags that come with the baby.so we use a cool place down here

Anyway, doonanes is brilliant! Dogs get loads of exercise, and the ladies that work there are very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Doonanes is mega.I'm from Cork but when we visited her folks in Dublin, we brought the dogs there.they loved it.they used run in the gate, a really fun place for dogs.the upload photos on Facebook too everyday so you can see the pooch all you want!

We don't bring them anymore, we had a kid and the Nissan Note, as spacious as it seems doesn't do myself, herself, car seat+baby, buggy and the 59000 bags that come with the baby.so we use a cool place down here

Anyway, doonanes is brilliant! Dogs get loads of exercise, and the ladies that work there are very very nice.

Forgot to mention the daily Facebook updates.......the highlight of each evening for me when I'm away, sad, I know!! Doonane really put emphasis on tons of exercise to ensure that the dogs are settled each evening.....my 2 come back exhausted!

Advertisement