Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Name (Makoto Shinkai) in Irish cinemas Nov 24th

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Figured I'd make a thread on this since multiple cinema's are showing it in Dublin as well as screenings in Limerick, Galway and Cork.

Times are on the official website:
    http://yournamethemovie.co.uk

I've liked Shinkai's work in the past and from its reception it seems like this is the movie is his breakout hit so it should be worth going to see on the big screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

megaten wrote: »
    Figured I'd make a thread on this since multiple cinema's are showing it in Dublin as well as screenings in Limerick, Galway and Cork.

Times are on the official website:
    http://yournamethemovie.co.uk

I've liked Shinkai's work in the past and from its reception it seems like this is the movie is his breakout hit so it should be worth going to see on the big screen.

Wrong date. It is being screened on November 24th, not November 4th.

Ghost in the Shell is being screened on January 25, the new Yugioh movie is being screened in February and the new Sword Art Online movie is being screened in April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Zerry1

Marvelous Dear ..........................!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw it a few weeks ago, wot I said in 'nother thread: The Japanese box office phenomenon from Makoto Shinkai is a definite crowdpleaser in both the positive and perjorative senses of the word. Make no mistake - this is unashamedly sentimental, the filmmaking methods (particularly the aggressively J-pop-rock soundtrack) determined to have you emoting as hard as possible. But despite its brute force approach, at its best its emotional earnestness, broad comedy and fantastical shenanigans are hard to resist. Shinkai's visual splendour remains undimmed, even if his storytelling lacks the nuance of his contemporaries like Mamoru Hosoda. Good to see it's getting a solid release in Ireland next month - refreshing to see a shorter gap between Japanese and Western release.

Yeah: It's a big, warm hearted film overall, and given that its obviously been heavily influenced by the tsunami there's something to be said for a different, more hopeful take on dark subject matter. The flaws carry over from Shinkai's earlier work, but so too for the most part do the strengths. Hopefully it'll be a hit - relatively, anyway - during its unusual 'event' release because it'd be a positive sign if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched it. Liked it!

There's so much about that film that I thought was done so well.
    It had me in knots for a while with apprehension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have not seen it yet but my husband has ordered the special edition for that comes out in October...I know enough about the story to know that I will love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Just FYI a few more showings of this have cropped up over the next few days in the lighthouse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Just FYI a few more showings of this have cropped up over the next few days in the lighthouse :)

A few showing in the Gate in Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

I got tickets for the independent cinema in Belfast as part of the film festival in February. If it wasn't for Chris Stuckman I would've have known about the film..

Advertisement