Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10k Netherlands tax rebate, can I keep it???

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I am just wondering could you give some advice on tax rebate when working abroad.

I was employed by a UK company and seconded to work over in the Netherlands, I was tax equalized and requested to submit all my tax details via PWC so they would do my tax returns on my behalf.

However since I left employment earlier this year I decided to ignore the requests to provide tax return details to PWC and instead do my own tax return. Because I qualified for the Dutch 30% ruling I ended up with a tax rebate of over €10k, this has now been paid into my account.

I am now reluctant to spend it as I do not know if my previous employer can legally chase me to send the money back to them. Albeit I do not think they can legally view my tax return without my consent and cannot force me to complete a tax return via PWC?

Any legal knowledge on the matter?

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

done more or less the same in Australia. I just sat on it and said nothing. Still sitting on it to this day, 14 years later. Basically i put it into a savings account, it is of course mine now. If nobody can confirm or you are unsure, maybe a good idea to do the same - save it for a couple of years, then spend it, if you must, it's a nice feeling to have a wad of cash sitting in the vaults :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It's money you've overpaid to the Dutch government due to leaving before the end of the tax year. It's yours. Not sure why you think the employer would come looking for it.

I've been in similar situations many times due to internal international moves and have had tax back in this fashion just as many.

But that's my situation. Suggest you contact PWC and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can your employer claim this back as it relates to a payment of your own taxes not your employer?

That money is yours.

Advertisement