Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you report bad traffic light sequences to be reviewed?

Options
  • 01-11-2016 12:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to report a certain few sets of traffic lights to be reviewed and hopefully adjusted? If anyone knows the section near the Port Tunnel entrance, around East Wall Road down towards the Gibson - they really are terrible - its like they are trying to stop everyone at a red. They seem to stay on for a long time with no traffic coming in some directions, yet all the the main traffic backs up. In one direction - from Promenade road to the Gibson -you just seem to hit a red at 3 sets of lights in a row - once you get a green the one ahead of you turns red right before you get to it, its mad. However when you are waiting there at the red there is almost no traffic going by.

Who does the sequencing and do they take input from the public on how it could be improved?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you can report malfunctioning traffic lights to the traffic control room in DCC, not sure what the reaction would be to feedback about sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

You can report it on FixYourStreet.ie, which takes submissions related to services provided by all local authorities:

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/main

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I have reported incorrectly timed traffic lights to both DCC and DLRC in the past and have always received a reply, explanation of the problem and, in most cases, the issue was corrected (although not immediately!).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I have reported incorrectly timed traffic lights to both DCC and DLRC in the past and have always received a reply, explanation of the problem and, in most cases, the issue was corrected (although not immediately!).

Is there a specific email or department that deals with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I had one case recently where the pedestrian lights on tara street/pearse street stopped functioning for the 10 minutes i was there (presume they had not changed prior to my arrival and still hadnt changed when i left). This is a bloody awful junction for pedestrians at the best of times.

Led to a huge group of tourist kids chancing their arm and running across the traffic

I was told when I rang traffic control it probably wasn't a fault but the automated system might have just decided to prioritize vehicles dues to heavy traffic :eek:

When I asked what their complaints process was, i was told to send an email to someone who turned out to be the traffic control manager. So theres zero external oversight for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

if you email traffic @ dublincity.ie issue will be investigated and responded to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I might try this with a few junctions where pedestrian lights remain red even when there is no possibility of conflict with traffic. And I don't mean pedestrian lights stuck on red. Happens on O'Connell St and around Busaras where the Luas crossing means traffic is stopped and yet the pedestrian lights crossing parallel to the Luas remain red until AFTER the Luas is gone. Maybe there is a reason for it but I can't for the life of me think of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You can report it on FixYourStreet.ie, which takes submissions related to services provided by all local authorities:

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/main

Never knew about this. Just reported some fly-tipping. Thanks!

Why is there also a fixMYstreet.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

I would like to report ALL traffic lights as bad. In places where they and road markings have been removed traffic flows better and there are less accidents. It's amazing what humans can do when they stop waiting to be told what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Ben D Bus wrote:
    Never knew about this. Just reported some fly-tipping. Thanks!

I've used fixyourstreet to report potholes and litter dumping and issues were fixed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there a specific email or department that deals with it?

Yes, traffic @ dublincity.ie as already mentioned and traffic @ DLRCOCO.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Ben D Bus wrote:
    Happens on O'Connell St and around Busaras where the Luas crossing means traffic is stopped and yet the pedestrian lights crossing parallel to the Luas remain red until AFTER the Luas is gone. Maybe there is a reason for it but I can't for the life of me think of one!

I talked to DCC ITS about that years ago and they said it was a pedestrian safety thing. Apparently when the Luas started running, the lights worked the way you suggested but pedestrians didn't realise only one set of lights were green and kept walking out in front of trams.

Their explanation, not mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Zipppy wrote: »
    I've used fixyourstreet to report potholes and litter dumping and issues were fixed....

Some councils, eg Kildare, acknowledge but ignore submissions.

Advertisement