Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVGA GTX 1070/1080 VRM Overheating issue (with solution)

Options
  • 01-11-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

EVGA VRMs reportedly catching fire, or failing.

Originally reported on the german Tom's Hardware review.

Just highlighting this in it's own thread for awareness.

Fix 1 is to update the VBIOS which can be downloaded from the EVGA website (I'm assuming product drivers section). This will adjust the fan speed curve (speed at which the fans rotate, at specific temperatures) so that the card is cooled sufficiently.
    Alternatively, install Afterburner, and adjust the fan curve manually.

Fix 2 is to apply thermal pads which can be ordered here: http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
    Alternatively, purchase your own thermal pads (they are pretty cheap and can be found in bricks and mortar stores like Maplin or online via amazon), and apply in the same manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Haven't had any issues with my ftw 1080 yet and hopefully I won't. I presume their warranty covers this if it happens anyway right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yes, the warranty covers any failures which could occur due to this "technically in spec, but dangerously close to Thermal Limit" oversight. It would be a good idea to look at applying the fix if you are someone who games for long periods and/or pushes their card quite hard.

I game quite a bit and havnt had any issues yet, what exactly are the issues people are having? Is the card just dying under load?
    I am tempted to RMA to be safe but then I'm quite happy with my 1080 and the overclock it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I game quite a bit and havnt had any issues yet, what exactly are the issues people are having? Is the card just dying under load?
    I am tempted to RMA to be safe but then I'm quite happy with my 1080 and the overclock it gets

Essentially it can get so hot that it damages itself or other components on the board to the best of my knowledge. Pictures of heat damaged PCB have shown up. The applying thermal pads solution doesn't seem too difficult, and quicker than RMA the entire card (especially since they'll probably just apply the pads and ship it back).
    Another thing to note is that it may be less of an issue over the Winter, where room temps are relatively low. The testing was performed at 30 degrees C ambient temperature.

One other option I somehow missed:
    To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

If you don't want to update your graphics card bios, the alternative is to install afterburner, and adjust the fan speed curve yourself.

I've a pretty aggressive fan curve anyway so maybe that's why I havnt seen issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Just a note for people who "haven't had issues". It's one of those things that'll work...until it won't. Your chip could be cooled sufficiently and yet your VRMs be well over a 100c (not necessarily good for the long-term health of your card either btw - even if they are hardy enough).

Do the VRMs on the cards have temp sensors on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gumbi wrote: »
    Just a note for people who "haven't had issues". It's one of those things that'll work...until it won't. Your chip could be cooled sufficiently and yet your VRMs be well over a 100c (not necessarily good for the long-term health of your card either btw - even if they are hardy enough).

Do the VRMs on the cards have temp sensors on them?

I doubt VRMs have a temp sensor, or else this would've been caught in pre-production.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I don't see any valid reason to wait until something bad happens when you can get the thermal pads or just send the card back for a new one now for peace of mind. A 1070/1080 is an expensive bit of kit so why take the risk?

How do you start an RMA with evga? I've heard of something called an advanced RMA with them as well, do they send on the card before they receive yours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hope this info helps.

• Advertisement

im just after sending in a support ticket anyway in order to get an advanced rma rolling, has anyone ever done an advanced rm with evga? does it take long for them to ship a card and then refund your collateral when they receive your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

EVGA & Samsung Announce the GTX 1080TNT
    link

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

game4it70 wrote: »
    EVGA & Samsung Announce the GTX 1080TNT
    link

:D

Have ordered two, sounds like a solid card and that extra 60hz sounds spot on.

Advertisement