Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Starter Kit £74.99 normally £99.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Not really a great deal and "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

davo2001 wrote: »

Out of interest is there cheaper offers anywhere? Looking to purchase these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Out of interest is there cheaper offers anywhere? Looking to purchase these.

Not since the amazon echo came out even used on ebay the price has gone up 50%. I'm hoping for a Black Friday deal on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I didn't buy this starter pack, I bought the one without the switch and it also said it would be 1 to 2 months but it was dispatched after 3 days. Might be Amazon being cautious with the dispatching time in case of unexpected demand?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

That's a good starter pack as it includes a dimmer which retails at £20, I find you are limited unless you have a few dimmers, e.g. A guests room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Purchased yesterday and just received an updated expected delivery of the 5th November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Might seem like a silly question, but does incorporating a Hue bridge & bulbs mean you lose the ability to switch those lights on by simply flicking the wall switch? I presume to be able to control them automatically, the switch has to remain in the on position?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Switch has to stay in the on position.

You can turn them on and off as normal with the switch, they come on full when the switch is flicked off and back on.

But you cant control them via app or remotely if the switch is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Works great with Amazon echo

"Turn Kitchen lights on"
    "Dim Kitchen Lights"
    "Turn on Kitchen 3 light"

etc

I dont have to move my fat ass off the couch for anything anymore. Alexa does everything

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Might seem like a silly question, but does incorporating a Hue bridge & bulbs mean you lose the ability to switch those lights on by simply flicking the wall switch? I presume to be able to control them automatically, the switch has to remain in the on position?

To add to what Optimus Prime said above, Philips also sell a great wireless switch *, which you can stick on the wall next to your old light switch. Just leave your old light switch on all the time and use the Philips switch instead.

You can optionally cover the old switches with child safety covers to stop people from switching them off.

* The wireless switch has a magnet that attaches them to a base. It is the base that you actually permanently attach to he wall. The switch itself can be removed from the base and carried around the room, very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

bk wrote: »
    To add to what Optimus Prime said above, Philips also sell a great wireless switch *, which you can stick on the wall next to your old light switch. Just leave your old light switch on all the time and use the Philips switch instead.

You can optionally cover the old switches with child safety covers to stop people from switching them off.

* The wireless switch has a magnet that attaches them to a base. It is the base that you actually permanently attach to he wall. The switch itself can be removed from the base and carried around the room, very useful.

Is the switch you mention the one that is actually part of this deal? Not mentioned in title so my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Sorry if this is a very obvious questions, but I presume having the regular light switch set to ON permanently won't use electricity if it's not actually in use? I presume it will only use electricity when the light is actually shining via Hue?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It must use some energy as the bulb is in standby waiting to receive a single to turn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,819 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It must use some energy as the bulb is in standby waiting to receive a single to turn on.
    0.5W in standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Basq wrote: »
    0.5W in standby.

78c for the year at 18c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

Just wondering what people do with fancy lights, i.e. the stupid lights with the candle leds?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    Is the switch you mention the one that is actually part of this deal? Not mentioned in title so my mistake

Yes, it is. The switch is excellent, you can also buy the switch standalone.

BTW the switch is highly programmable. Each button can be set to do different actions (for instance set different scenes) on a single, double, triple, quadrupple press and press and hold! So it is more like a 20 button remote.
    ted1 wrote: »
    78c for the year at 18c/kWh

And people should remember that if they are replacing 100 watt standard bulb with a 9.5 watt LED bulb, how little power use that 0.5w is by comparison.
    GaryCocs wrote: »
    Just wondering what people do with fancy lights, i.e. the stupid lights with the candle leds?

Do you mean these guys?:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Imageo-Rechargeable-Candle-Lights/dp/B000JP4M6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1478094559&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+candle+lights

I have these. First off just to point out these aren't part of the Philips Hue system, they are totally standalone. But to how do you use them, well you use them for creating a romantic atmosphere while have a nice dinner etc. My OH absolutely loves them. Of course you could get the same effect with much cheaper real candles. But the advantage of these is zero danger of fire. You can switch them on every evening and not worry at all about blowing them out before going to bed or leaving them unattended. They just create a nice warm feeling atmosphere.

And now that we have a little monster crawling around the floor, the safety aspect is indispensable. No worries at all that she might get her hands on these and burn herself. Actually one warning they should put on them is that the romantic atmosphere they create might result in a little monster of your own! :D

Yes, it is. The switch is excellent, you can also buy the switch standalone.

BTW the switch is highly programmable. Each button can be set to do different actions (for instance set different scenes) on a single, double, triple, quadrupple press and press and hold! So it is more like a 20 button remote.

And people should remember that if they are replacing 100 watt standard bulb with a 9.5 watt LED bulb, how little power use that 0.5w is by comparison.

Do you mean these guys?:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Imageo-Rechargeable-Candle-Lights/dp/B000JP4M6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1478094559&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+candle+lights

I have these. First off just to point out these aren't part of the Philips Hue system, they are totally standalone. But to how do you use them, well you use them for creating a romantic atmosphere while have a nice dinner etc. My OH absolutely loves them. Of course you could get the same effect with much cheaper real candles. But the advantage of these is zero danger of fire. You can switch them on every evening and not worry at all about blowing them out before going to bed or leaving them unattended. They just create a nice warm feeling atmosphere.

And now that we have a little monster crawling around the floor, the safety aspect is indispensable. No worries at all that she might get her hands on these and burn herself. Actually one warning they should put on them is that the romantic atmosphere they create might result in a little monster of your own! :D
    Wasn't actually referring to that, was referring to something like this:

http://www.jp.thechandeliercompany.com/shopimages/products/normal/LB8_MAIN.jpg

Also have those ones you linked too, our little monster managed to smash them to bits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Also have those ones you linked too, our little monster managed to smash them to bits :D

You can get wifi enabled wall switches that would cover these off, not sure if philips do them though

You can get wifi enabled wall switches that would cover these off, not sure if philips do them though

Yes, lightwaverf. Basically you just replace the switch with a lightwaverf compatible switch and it allows you to remotely switch on/off and dim lights like these.

The disadvantage of lrf versus hue is no ability to do different colours, etc. and it isn't as well integrated with other Home Automation ecosystems like Amazon Echo, though seemingly they are working on support.

I also expect that Philips will eventually bring out Hue bulbs for lights like these too eventually. Philips seem to be launching lots of new Hue compatible products every few months now. The ecosystem is really growing very quickly.

Haha yes there is that :D

• Advertisement

Yes, lightwaverf. Basically you just replace the switch with a lightwaverf compatible switch and it allows you to remotely switch on/off and dim lights like these.

The disadvantage of lrf versus hue is no ability to do different colours, etc. and it isn't as well integrated with other Home Automation ecosystems like Amazon Echo, though seemingly they are working on support.

I also expect that Philips will eventually bring out Hue bulbs for lights like these too eventually. Philips seem to be launching lots of new Hue compatible products every few months now. The ecosystem is really growing very quickly.

Haha yes there is that :D

Shame philips dont do a switch for them. I reckon if it's not all integrated into the same system it's not worth it really?

Shame philips dont do a switch for them. I reckon if it's not all integrated into the same system it's not worth it really?

I agree, I suspect the issue is that different countries use different electrical standards for switches. So Irish/UK switches are quite unique and different from mainland Europe, US, etc.

It would require a lot of effort for them to make unique switches for each different market, while almost all their other products work pretty much all around the world, as least with very little minor difference.

The other issue is that they would rather you buy a whole bunch of their bulbs, rather then just a single switch.

Having said that, they seem to be constantly releasing a whole rack of new products every few months, so they might do it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BPDXATS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Back down to £74.99

Want to give these a try but will it be cheaper going closer to black Friday?

you and me both, I dont know if it would drop again though . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,819 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus... they've hiked up in price. Got them for 73.80 with a discount code off Littlewoods 2 months ago.

Advertisement