Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What graphics card to buy with my current setup

Options
  • 31-10-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am looking for some advice and guidance for upgrading my PC graphics card. It would be nice to have something that is future proofed as I may go the 1440p and 100hz+ at some stage but that wont be happening for about a year or two.

Below is my current setup:

HP ENVY 700-311na
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (max turbo boost - 4.0 GHz)
    Motherboard: MS-7826 (Kaili)
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    2GB AMD Radeon R9 270 (Max 60hz refresh rate)
    3TB HDD

24" AOC Monitor - G2460VQ6
    HDMI & Display Port Input
    1920x1080@75Hz
    1ms response rate

So currently I can run games at Medium and High settings. Some older games on ultra. It would be nice to get High and Ultra on games like Battlefield 1 and DOOM plus with 75hz fps.

Screen tearing is a bit of an issue at times so having a AOC monitor with FreeSync should I stick with AMD graphics card or maybe consider another monitor as well as a new graphics card?

Budget wise I am looking to spend maximum 400 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A (used) 980Ti would get you the FPS but obviously wouldn't run Freesync. That said, it MIGHT not matter since you'll be running in the high-90s (for reference, I haven't noticed screentear once on my 120Hz even when running 100fps-odd)

Sadly AMD still don't have anything better than the RX 480 (unless you want to be silly & get a Fury-class card), which would only be good for ~1080p60 maxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Do you play Doom MP?
    If so what name do you use? I play under the name **Janer of Punk
    :P

oh yeah I switched from a GTX 680 which ran doom on low and medium settings and maps were original ones 40-55 ish
    DLC pack 1 mostly 35-40
    DLC pack 2 22-35, that's when I knew I needed more so got a new rig and a GTX 1080 and now everything is perfect at rock solid 60fps....I "only" have a 60hz iiyama :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, there are few issues. Buying gpu that could do 100fps at 1440p in 2 years is a waste of money. If you switch to such monitor in next few weeks, then I would suggest something like 1070.
    For now, I would suggest getting rx480 or 1060 and play comfortably on 1080p. When in 2 years you are going to get that new monitor, we will get new cards, that will ne cheaper and be able to run that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I say get an RX 480 the xfx gtr looks like a winner. what kinda games do you play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

I usually play Tomb Raider, Counter Strike GO and more recently DOOM single player and Battlefield 1. Steam gamertag is MR. MEOWSHI

Ok so would I see a big difference jumping from a R9 270 to a RX 480? The 4gb version is around 230 euro then the 8gb version 270. I was recently put onto https://geizhals.eu/ for PC components but is there a better online store out there. Also could I sell my current graphics card?

• Advertisement

DarraghR wrote: »
    I usually play Tomb Raider, Counter Strike GO and more recently DOOM single player and Battlefield 1. Steam gamertag is MR. MEOWSHI

Ok so would I see a big difference jumping from a R9 270 to a RX 480? The 4gb version is around 230 euro then the 8gb version 270. I was recently put onto https://geizhals.eu/ for PC components but is there a better online store out there. Also could I sell my current graphics card?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-480-review

You won't be playing your games at 1080p with Ultra settings at 75Hz (the exception will be Doom in Vulkan API, which gets a huge boost on AMD)

However the RX 480 is still around twice as fast as your 270.

Geizhals btw isn't a webstore; it's only a price comparison engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, it would be night and day. Most of the latest AAA games would run at high-ultra excellently. For just a single graphics card, better to buy from somewhere like Amazon or OCUK, etc.

Your current card would get around €70-80ish.

DOOM runs between 40 - 70 fps on medium settings
    Alien Isolation 60 fps on Ultra
    Tomb Raider 60fps+ on High

So what results might on get with the 480? Also 4gb or 8gb version

DOOM runs between 40 - 70 fps on medium settings
    Alien Isolation 60 fps on Ultra
    Tomb Raider 60fps+ on High

So what results might on get with the 480? Also 4gb or 8gb version

You'll probably get ~90fps in DOOM @ Ultra settings

and be able to bump Tomb Raider up to Ultra, too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-vs-8gb-review

4Gb makes more sense; at 1080p you're unlikely to run into VRAM limits.

Ok so based on the length of time that it will take me to afford a 1440p monitor and graphics card that can handle that resolution above 60 fps I have decided to go with the RX 480 4GB. The 8GB seems like a waste of money. Now to decide where to buy it and what manufacturer.

Can someone please tell me how to find out the exact model and series of my current graphics card. I have tried so many different ways but only know that it is a 200 series ....

When it comes to installing a new graphics card what do I need to be careful about? I know size would be one but what about connections etc.

• Advertisement

I thought you said it was a 270? If you're not sure, download GPU-Z, it will tell you exactly what the card is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Download GPU-z and post a screenshot of the information and someone here will be able to tell you.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

what is the best value 1060 around at the moment?

Any non-mini model tbh

KDLhM3m.gif

Whats information would indicate which version I have? Just want to make sure I am advertising the correct card when selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I just recently bought the Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB windforce edition for £250 on overclockers. Seems to be the best value one. There is a cheaper card for about £230 but it runs very hot apparently.

In fairness there's not a whole lot in the difference in price, the vast majority are between 250-300. Don't worry too much about buying the factory overclocked cards. The performance gains are minimal for the extra few quid

Whats information would indicate which version I have? Just want to make sure I am advertising the correct card when selling it

Pretty sure that's a regular R9 270. Should get around €70 for it.

Unfortunately my card is quite troublesome when trying to find the exact model ...

From a lot of the benchmarks I have seen it looks like the 480 is the best choice for me. The 1060 does slightly better performance wise but not enough to justify the extra money. Plus I already have a Freesync monitor.

I am starting to consider getting the RX 480 8GB version now. For an extra 50 euro it might be worth it as future games may use a lot more VRAM. I also do some graphic design work with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop

Advertisement