Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Machine query (MBP)

Options
  • 31-10-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Howdy.

I recently put a new ssd in my macbook and am using the old hdd as internal storage. Voila, 2 hard drives inside my mbp.

When I hook up my time machine external hdd it only wants to back up the start up disk which is fair enough I guess.

Question is if I erase the external hdd (time machine) and partition it (250/250)
    can I somehow back up both my internal drives to this one external drive?
    I keep both internal drives below half empty so space wise it should be ok.

I just dont know how to set up time machine to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Time Machine can back up two drives no problem. Look in TM preferences > Options.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭pegdrums

Thanks. The only options it gives me is to choose disks to exclude from backups though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the second drive listed not as excluded?

When I went to options to "exclude these drives from backup" my internal storage drive was there. But your last post got me thinking so I clicked it and was able to minus it from the list.....total back up is now 398 gb between the two and my external is 500gb.
    Duno why I didnt think of it before!

I meant to say about minusing it off. I guess it's a bit confusing since we would usually think of backing up hard drives rather than computers with all drives attached, which is how TM works.

• Advertisement

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

How the heck can you fit 2 HDD's in a macbook and how can you link them!! I thought there was only one cable???

https://youtu.be/dSwIoSnz7aY?t=5m45s

I found a similar video to that and just followed it.
    The cd drive gets replaced by the second hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

simples, forgot about removing the cd drive.

Advertisement