Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is using the word 'almost' followed by a word like 'everyone' bad English?

• 31-10-2016 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

I just saw on the Sky News website the sentence "Virginia almost always votes Republican". Should it not be "Virginia most of the time votes Republican"? "Almost always" just seems like really poor use of English.

I remember writing an essay in school using the term "almost everyone". My English teacher, after correcting the classes' essays, said words to the effect of "Everyone's essays were actually pretty good. Well, almost everyone" as he looked me in the eye. He was saying it sarcastically of course. He then said to me after class to avoid using phrases like that.

I'm wondering is it an actual rule in English or does it just look and sound bad.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't see anything wrong with that. A phrase that does irritate me is "one of the only" which does not make any sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

BOHtox wrote: »
    I just saw on the Sky News website the sentence "Virginia almost always votes Republican". Should it not be "Virginia most of the time votes Republican"? "Almost always" just seems like really poor use of English.

I remember writing an essay in school using the term "almost everyone". My English teacher, after correcting the classes' essays, said words to the effect of "Everyone's essays were actually pretty good. Well, almost everyone" as he looked me in the eye. He was saying it sarcastically of course. He then said to me after class to avoid using phrases like that.

I'm wondering is it an actual rule in English or does it just look and sound bad.

Cheers

"Most of the time" only conveys that its 50%+ of the time though, so it's not as strong as "almost always" which would suggest to me that it's 90%+ of the time. The same goes for "almost everyone" which definitely sounds more than "most people". Perhaps both expressions could be replaced by "the vast majority"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think his point may have been that words like 'always' and 'everyone' are absolute statements. Everyone means everyone. Always means always and it may be improper to use those words with 'almost' preceding it. If you wish to convey 'almost always' there's better ways to do it. "Most of the time" being one and "The vast majority of the time" being one too.

'The vast majority of the time' - how can you have a 'vast majority' of a concept such as time? It seems to be much less grammatical than 'almost all' or 'almost everyone'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's not so much "bad English" as "bad writing". It implies that you have carried out substantial research to justify the statement that follows, and that you've quantified the "everyone" concerned.

Your teacher would have been using it correctly - rather than sarcastically - if he'd said "everyone in the class" because he'd defined the population concerned, and because he was in a position to know what everyone (in the class) had written. If you were to say something like "almost everyone in Ireland gets their child baptised" you're immediately leaving yourself open to a challenge, unless you can back the statement up with statistics (and then you still have to define what you mean by "almost" ...

If you're quoting him accurately, then the first part of the phrase contains worse examples of bad writing, so I don't think he was picking on you! :cool:

• Advertisement

It's not so much "bad English" as "bad writing". It implies that you have carried out substantial research to justify the statement that follows, and that you've quantified the "everyone" concerned.

Your teacher would have been using it correctly - rather than sarcastically - if he'd said "everyone in the class" because he'd defined the population concerned, and because he was in a position to know what everyone (in the class) had written. If you were to say something like "almost everyone in Ireland gets their child baptised" you're immediately leaving yourself open to a challenge, unless you can back the statement up with statistics (and then you still have to define what you mean by "almost" ...

If you're quoting him accurately, then the first part of the phrase contains worse examples of bad writing, so I don't think he was picking on you! :cool:

Except that we don't know the subject of the essay, so it is possible that the OP wrote 'almost everyone has one head'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

looksee wrote: »
    Except that we don't know the subject of the essay, so it is possible that the OP wrote 'almost everyone has one head'.

Well I've got four that I can think of straight off ... ! :pac:

Advertisement