Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPD Win

Options
  • 31-10-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

So for the past few months I have been following a indiegogo project started by a little chinese company called GPD. They have produced a number of android gaming tablets, the last few were pretty decent quality, such as the GPD XD (copyright might be a bit dubious as its a clone of a 3ds xl !)

Anyway the latest device is a 3ds alike with an intel atom processor, windows 10, joypad and mini keyboard. Its started shipping recently and reviews are quite positive. I thought it would be strictly a streaming/emu device but it looks like it has enough grunt to run skyrim and fallout 3

Skyrim
    https://youtu.be/PQaL8teDDoE

Fallout 3
    https://youtu.be/IEcZIMZUNS4

Its a bit tricky to order at the moment, there is a chinese gadget site pre orders for $330. (Expect to pay another 25% for vat and customs though!) Dragonbox who are making a similar arm device are also selling it, but with in the eu so its a bit easier to return.

My owns on the way apparently so I cant wait to try it out. Im pretty interested in having a pocketable umpc for holidays and I can always use a hdmi cable with a tv if its too cramped. If you are interested you can find out more on dingoonitys forums
    http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Looks ok actually Interested to hear what u think when you get yours
    Smach z is on Kickstarter too very tempted to go for it as I travel quite a bit and it looks really good
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This looks interesting.

I have a GPD XD which runs emulators really well and the controls feel pretty good.

I use it almost exclusively for emulators but emulating the n64 and gamecube is a bit problematic on android. The n64 mostly works but the mupen64 emulator has issues with some games such as Donkey kong 64. It's got a 32 bit processor which means that Dolphin will never play well.

Project64 and Dolphin could work really well on this thing. Dolphin 5.0 has excellent performance now and is supposed to be able to play all games well. Also being able to run every PC game ever would be a big plus.

I too look forward to your experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

It arrive yesterday, I have been playing around with it. Build quality wise its top notch. I was able to get wow running at 15-25 fps on low settings with tweaking. It does get warm but nothing too hot either. The western backers are all getting units now, so there should be good consensus. Some people are having driver issues, hopefully they arent anything major I would wait a week before ordering just to see how everyone gets on.

On the Smach Z I am a bit pessimistic, the team building it dont have much experience, they have chosen amd for the apu, AMD dont really make power or heat efficent chips. Finally the shape is really huge, it seems more like a stay home device rather than a portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Have a linx vision which is a bit similar but in a tablet format which suited me more since I wan't to play Visual Novels on it too. I'd get the Win too but it's a bit dear considering I'd only wan't to play indie games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

So I had the weekend to play around with my WIN, I am really pleased with one I received. They managed to a pretty good job on the controls, I have been able to play some RTS's, FPS's and RPGS. Its not the same as playing on a PC of course, but it is nice to be able to play Warcraft 3 on a handheld. I also played an hour or two of WoW, its not ideal but its playable at least. Its not going to replace your laptop or desktop, but if you have a particular need to play an older PC game, or emulate PS2/WII games on the bus its the only option. Its also a nice way to bring a seperate gaming machine if you already have a laptop for work or whatever.

The only thing is that on dingoonity ALOT of people have gotten dodgy units, that crash a lot or have other malfunctions. I think based on how many failures I have see I would wait a few months before picking one up, there are lot of rush job mistake units out there, and I bet some will end up on fleabay, so I think the handiest thing is to wait for the manufactured units to be built at better quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Icemanfox

I received mine last week.
    Have tried quite a few games. I'm very happy with it, no crashes or any of the problems mentioned in dingoonity. Let me know if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, sorry for dragging this up again, but I sow video of it today and this thing is mind blowing!

Is it still only sold from Chinese sites? Any way to get it somewhere in europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Guys, sorry for dragging this up again, but I sow video of it today and this thing is mind blowing!

Is it still only sold from Chinese sites? Any way to get it somewhere in europe?

There's a few in europe. I think they're microcomputer.es (spain), dragonbox (germany) and belchine.net (belgium)

Advertisement