Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beers - Chicago Style!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have done no research for this trip at all. Might be worth also sticking up a few decent/recommended area's in the city for beers as well......we are staying over for a few days

Anyone with experience of Chicago know is Soldier Field actually in decent part of city? I know in some US cities the stadium tend to be a good bit outside of the city main centre

Anyway going to the Eagles game the day before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of Chicago know is Soldier Field actually in decent part of city? I know in some US cities the stadium tend to be a good bit outside of the city main centre

Soldier Field is an the artsy part of Chicago. Near a museum and a planetarium. United Centre where the NHL is played seems to be in a bit more lower class area from what I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have done no research for this trip at all. Might be worth also sticking up a few decent/recommended area's in the city for beers as well......we are staying over for a few days

Soldier Field is close to the Museum Campus which includes the Field Museum, an aquarium and a planetarium. Don't think there are many pubs nearby. There was a really nice Irish Pub directly across from the stadium on South Michigan Avenue called Grace O'Malley's but it's now closed.

At Soldier Field and US Cellular Field (White Sox stadium) people do tail-gating, where they bar-be-que and drink beer in the car park before the match. It's a big American sports tradition but leads to a lack of pubs near the stadium.

Wrigley Field, where the Cubs play, has no parking lot and is surrounded by dozens of bars. On a game night it's crazy busy. They are currently in the World Series (about to be eliminated :D) and the cover charge to get into some of the most popular venues last night was $250. It's Temple Bar x 100.

Another area with lots of bars is Rush and Division Street. There's probably 12 pubs all located together.

Chicagoans love to drink, they knock back Irish whiskey like there's no tomorrow. There are pubs everywhere, but they vary with the part of the city you're in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Looking forward to heading to Kingston Mines on one of the nights. Supposed to be amazing for Blues music.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'll be with family so not sure of my story yet.

• Advertisement

Asked the Leinster Supporters Club for tips and they said they'll be publishing a travel pack later today. Will link here when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

There as an event called "Guinness Fan Festival" starting at 11am outside the stadium before the game.

Just got the email about that too. Maybe it might be better to meet at whatever the **** that is for beers and find a pub after the win?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's an Irish pub called Fadó, that's at the right side of the city for the stadium. It has 2/3 floors and I know it's a cliché but they really do take care of you when they know you're Irish. It's right around a few other bars/restaurants too so it should be pretty lively.

Download Uber too, they run well in the City.

I'm so jealous, we had planned to go over, but a friend is selfishly getting married on Saturday!

Enjoy lads.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/supporters/15390.php#.WBhja3qungg

Leinster info here....not a huge amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

dregin wrote: »
    Looking forward to heading to Kingston Mines on one of the nights. Supposed to be amazing for Blues music.

Almost directly across from here on Halsted there is a bar called BLUES. http://www.chicagobluesbar.com/

I'd rate it even better than Kingston Mines (but both an excellent blues experience).

While we talk about drinking, anyone any idea of weather? checked BBC and it says it will be around 15-16 degree celcius....

But will it be very cold or similar to Ireland? Need to pack so wondering how big a jacket I should be bringing.....

Thunder tomorrow anyways. Might affect my flight. Bring at least one good jacket. Snowboots may be unnecessary at this juncture.

Thunder tomorrow anyways. Might affect my flight. Bring at least one good jacket. Snowboots may be unnecessary at this juncture.

I was thinking do I bring the heavy jacket or the middle of Dec Aviva Blue Hands holding pint jacket

I'm bringing a heavy one going through the airport and a lighter one packed for if it stays decent to die of hypothermia.

Dropped into Kasey's earlier for a couple of pints. No nonsense bar, with a massive selection of beers. I reckon our best bet is the Guiness yoke before the game, maybe at noon. Was at Soldier Field today too and they have a massive operation on the go for this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm not in Chicago this weekend, but for anyone who is, the Museum of Science and Industry is well worth a visit!

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm not in Chicago this weekend, but for anyone who is, the Museum of Science and Industry is well worth a visit!

Was down there yesterday. Absolutely awesome place!

Lads it's too hot here. This is as warm as we get in a good August.

Any plan for tomorrow? Have to wait for the Willcall thingy but hopefully it won't be too long a line.

Anybody going to the match tonight? I'll be there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Right, I'll be in Chicago tomorrow (though likely not going to the game itself) so will keep an eye here for plans. I'm a follower not a leader though :p
    Only sitting in Heathrow now though so presumably I'll be jetlagged to ****

I'll be with family so doubt I can make pre-match plans. Post match might be an option!

I'd say more than likely we probably would either just meet at the fanzone or go a proper pub after the game.

I'd say more than likely we probably would either just meet at the fanzone or go a proper pub after the game.

I reckon proper pub after the game.

I call Kasey's, so. Meet there for seven? I'll hopefully still have a massive IRFU flag by that stage, so will be handy to hang up in the pub. Wifi code in there is cubssox701, just in case.

Might be in a bit before that but up for Kaseys. Met Joe Schmidt on a boat tour.

I'll try my best to make Kasey's at 7.

Might be in a bit before that but up for Kaseys. Met Joe Schmidt on a boat tour.

Saw Jordi Murphy outside Gibson's, which was unreal. Thanks for the tip, thomond!

We're going to Fado bar in about a half hour for the solitary pint and head over Soldier Field. More then welcome anybody along.

• Advertisement

I'm here in Kasey's. At a table, wearing glasses and the new Irish jersey. Towards the back.

Advertisement