Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail ticket issue

Options
  • 30-10-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I've just gotten of an Irish rail having legged it to not miss my train from heuston, I've never got Irish rail before just darts and buses. I mistakenly bought a student return and thought that it goes on my leap card instead of taking ticket from the dispenser. I made my train with my Min to spare which would be on the cctv. The inspectors were very rude when I told them and I even showed proof of purchase with my bank statements on my phone.

I refused to sign and they did not take my address they only had my name and student card.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DiarmAFC wrote: »
    Hi I've just gotten of an Irish rail having legged it to not miss my train from heuston, I've never got Irish rail before just darts and buses. I mistakenly bought a student return and thought that it goes on my leap card instead of taking ticket from the dispenser. I made my train with my Min to spare which would be on the cctv. The inspectors were very rude when I told them and I even showed proof of purchase with my bank statements on my phone.

I refused to sign and they did not take my address they only had my name and student card.

Thoughts anyone?

They might follow it up, 50/50 chance I expect but the bank statement may get you off.

On a side note I think not signing won't help as you may of won an appeal as in theory they would of been able to trace the ticket purchase etc. The TMV screens show they are printing your ticket once card payment is accepted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

An Original excuse,

When they didn't ask you for your leap card surely you would have registered it wasn't on there?

How did you pay? Cash or card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

How did your previous run in with Irish Rail inspectors work out, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DiarmAFC

devnull wrote: »
    An Original excuse,

When they didn't ask you for your leap card surely you would have registered it wasn't on there?

How did you pay? Cash or card?

Paid with card have a full bank statement which I showed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi I've just gotten of an Irish rail having legged it to not miss my train from heuston, I've never got Irish rail before just darts and buses..
    Thoughts anyone?
    I'm genuinely curious how you'd think DART isn't part of Irish Rail, considering it goes on train tracks through pretty big train stations and has Iarnrod Éireann signs around every DART station too.

Next, I'm wondering how wise it was to take your "first" rail journey allowing no time for buying a ticket. If you had whatever good reasons to be late, and there's many of those in Dublin, that's a different matter I guess.

I also don't get how you'd mistakenly get a student ticket when the ticket machines offer pretty big choices for selecting the right ticket type. Didn't you need to provide a student number to get the ticket?

If you'd needed a leap card you would get a top-up successful message before you run off with your leap card?

For multiple reasons I've little symphathy but then I suspect that refusing to sign it will likely result in a let-off for you.

• Advertisement

Paid with card have a full bank statement which I showed them.

How did you feel that the ticket would get on your leap card without producing your leap card?

How would the machine know who bought the ticket?

Lots of holes in your story,

You tried to evade, you got caught.

Accept it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

How did you feel that the ticket would get on your leap card without producing your leap card?

Accept it this time.

if I have it right, he bought a ticket online but never got the ticket printed at the machine at the station, in the misapprehension that all he had to do was to use his leap card. doesn't seem like an attempt to evade to me, he can show he bought a ticket online.

From the way they wrote his first post it's fairly obvious they bought the ticket from the TVM?

Else why would you go to a ticket machine to collect a ticket and then forget to take said ticket?

so, OP, if you are telling the truth, tell us step by step what you did when you got to the TVM from the moment you first interacted with it and the moment you left the machine and we may be able to help you.

Accept it this time.

I didn't try to evade l, it was a simple mistake which I had proof of my purchase.

Just to clarify,
    I didnt buy online, I bought it on a machine for 22 euro with my card, I thought it went onto my leap card instead of printing ticket.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify,
    I didnt buy online, I bought it on a machine for 22 euro with my card, I thought it went onto my leap card instead of printing ticket.

Just to clarify,

When the TVM didn't ask you for your leap card surely you would have registered it wasn't on there?

Do you have receipt from the ticket machine from the transaction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you have receipt from the ticket machine from the transaction?

The receipt comes out after the ticket, so that'd be rather hard

L1011 wrote: »

I knew that, guess why I asked the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jesus. He made a mistake.

Unfortunately a large percentage of people who claim to be wrongly fined are trying to find a way to get off and the vast majority of people who are evading are doing it intentionally, so I will always be skeptical, just like I am skeptical about people who refuse to scan their tickets at barriers (because they are normally fake)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I didn't try to evade l, it was a simple mistake which I had proof of my purchase.

Did you also have proof that you hadn't given/sold the valid ticket to another person?

I also assume that seeing as how you thought the ticket was on your leap card you tagged in to the gates at Heuston with said card?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Did you also have proof that you hadn't given/sold the valid ticket to another person?

I also assume that seeing as how you thought the ticket was on your leap card you tagged in to the gates at Heuston with said card?

Yes I did.

Yes I did.

How do you think the ticket will go onto your leap card when you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

L1011 wrote: »

It only issue's receipts when paying by card.

• Advertisement

Yes I did.

Where we're you travelling to?

Thoughts anyone?

The only proof of purchase acceptable is the actual ticket. If you tagged on at the barrier then you used the credit on your student travel card. This is only valid as far as hazel hatch. To go any further you need to purchase a ticket which both the ticket and the valid student card is then your proof of purchase. you are liable for a fine if you can't produce both when asked and can't get a refund if you've lost it.

Advertisement