Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue Lightstrip plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

vanti wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lightstrip-Lighstrip/dp/B0148NMVQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477831007&sr=8-1&keywords=light+strip+plus

reduced to 52.99 (from 69.99). not a bad price for this I think. Also the 100cm extension is reduced to 14.99 (same link)

I ordered these last week. Have them installed on the back of an Ikea kallax unit and they work perfectly.

led strip,TENLION 5050 led strip lights,RGB led strips lighting full kit +44 key IR remote+12V UK charger (built-in IC and fuse)Power Supply https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CHYPRP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rdFfyb616JGAT

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I ordered these last week. Have them installed on the back of an Ikea kallax unit and they work perfectly.

led strip,TENLION 5050 led strip lights,RGB led strips lighting full kit +44 key IR remote+12V UK charger (built-in IC and fuse)Power Supply https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CHYPRP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rdFfyb616JGAT

that's nice

vanti wrote: »
    that's nice

Are you being sarcastic?

I'm just offering up a much cheaper alternative that does exactly the same thing for a fifth of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are they safe? Heard stories about overheating transformers and dodgy connections on the cheaper Chinese imported ones??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Are you being sarcastic?

I'm just offering up a much cheaper alternative that does exactly the same thing for a fifth of the price.

Can the ones you have be controlled with home automation like Alexa/amazon echo?

• Advertisement

Are you being sarcastic?

It's not exactly the same thing at all!! For example I am mostly using Hue for voice control.

If you're not interested in Philips - that's fine but there's no need to link to other lights which are available on most sites and many electrical shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Can these be used with the belkin setup?

Del007 wrote: »
    Can these be used with the belkin setup?

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean? This is a powered lightstrip that integrates with the hue hub/bridge. This set does NOT contain a hub/bridge. Using the hub you can create scenes/timers/rules and more.

You could plug this into the belkin plug? But you'd still (I think) need a hue bridge. NOt sure that answers your question though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Are you being sarcastic?

The whole point of philips hue is the automation. you may as well post up a fluorescence light unit they are that far apart

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are they safe? Heard stories about overheating transformers and dodgy connections on the cheaper Chinese imported ones??

No problems so far and have had them running for a good bit but I do plug them out when not in use and only have them on when I'm in that room watching TV.

To mik_da_man and Vanti from the original post it is not clear that the use was for inclusion in an automated system and I simply offered a cheaper alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

No problems so far and have had them running for a good bit but I do plug them out when not in use and only have them on when I'm in that room watching TV.

To mik_da_man and Vanti from the original post it is not clear that the use was for inclusion in an automated system and I simply offered a cheaper alternative.

While I see your point the main draw of the hue systems are the automation and wireless control/integration.
    If someone read your comment and suggested alternative and bought it without reading up on them they would be sorely disappointed.

They are not similar in that manner at all.

Not knocking your chosen option, just wanted to point out the difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Thanks for your input, light strips are light strips !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

vicwatson wrote: »

I bought a strip 5m strip and plug from a lighting shop with a largish order of stuff. When I got it home and looked at it I had an idea it was tat. I was short a connection and brought it to maplin. Guy handled the transformer and said it was a piece of **** confirming my own thoughts. I bought a new one (wasn't cheap) and for the fun we opened up the cheap one (wasn't that cheap as the shop I bought it from pumped the price) and it was horrific inside. The quality of the work was evident even to anyone.

I am sure the one I bought from maplin is also made in China but the quality and weight, which is important for a transformer, is far higher.

Not really worth compromising for safety.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

893bet wrote: »
    I bought a strip 5m strip and plug from a lighting shop with a largish order of stuff. When I got it home and looked at it I had an idea it was tat. I was short a connection and brought it to maplin. Guy handled the transformer and said it was a piece of **** confirming my own thoughts. I bought a new one (wasn't cheap) and for the fun we opened up the cheap one (wasn't that cheap as the shop I bought it from pumped the price) and it was horrific inside. The quality of the work was evident even to anyone.

I am sure the one I bought from maplin is also made in China but the quality and weight, which is important for a transformer, is far higher.

Not really worth compromising for safety.

+1
    And these units should really carry the CE mark also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The whole point of philips hue is the automation. you may as well post up a fluorescence light unit they are that far apart

Not really that far, they both have the same light that produces the same output The difference is one uses a remote control , the other one use an app, which can be voice activated.

kceire wrote: »
    +1

I bought some 5m strips for a 10 each in eBay a few years ago and havn't had any issue. The place I got them started of the PSU separately so I sourced one locally, and I'd advice others to do.

For the extra 50 euro I don't think the novelty factor of the hue is worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weight is unimportant for switch mode power supplies. Actual transformers are extremely rare these days

L1011 wrote: »
    Weight is unimportant for switch mode power supplies. Actual transformers are extremely rare these days

Some people still like a piece of concrete in their devices to make them seem heavy.

kceire wrote: »
    +1

Sadly it did (had the mark anyway, whether it was genuine...).

Sadly it did (had the mark anyway, whether it was genuine...).

The ce mark is self regulating and also is quite remarkable in closeness to the CE Mark meaning china export.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Always led to believe the former, any further info? Every day is a school day!

Always led to believe the former, any further info? Every day is a school day!

Rather than a heavy and bulky transformer the voltage conversion is done by electronics

A phone charger is extremely light and converts mains to 5v 2Amps

As a rule of thumb any power supply that hums is a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can Alexa run this or do you also need the bridge?

Skerries wrote: »
    can Alexa run this or do you also need the bridge?

You'll need the bridge to control this. Then alexa integrates with the bridge. I find the control via Alexa excellent except for changing scenes (but doesn't bother me too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 6leander6

Hi, do Philips make wireless lightstrips? I want to use one on a large painting but don't want a visible power supply cord hanging down.

Advertisement