Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED bulbs ikea

Options
  • 30-10-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

RYET e27 led bulbs, 1000 lumen (equivalent to over 60w incandescent)

Spotted these at half price in ikea this morning for ikea family card members. Works out at 5 euro for a twin pack. Very good value.

E27 is the standard screw in type bulb. You can sign up for a temporary family card in ikea if you don't have one.

At 2.50 each this is the cheapest I've seen for a quality led bulb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

aviator7 wrote: »
    RYET e27 led bulbs, 1000 lumen (equivalent to over 60w incandescent)

Spotted these at half price in ikea this morning for ikea family card members. Works out at 5 euro for a twin pack. Very good value.

E27 is the standard screw in type bulb. You can sign up for a temporary family card in ikea if you don't have one.

At 2.50 each this is the cheapest I've seen for a quality led bulb.
    Quality being the best word. Deals have led bulbs for 1.50 and the e27 are v good but gu10 are crap

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jonosam

I bought a gu10 in IKEA just to see what it was like and it lasted a week at best. It was working fine for the first few days then it wouldn't switch on after that so it ended up in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jonosam wrote: »
    I bought a gu10 in IKEA just to see what it was like and it lasted a week at best. It was working fine for the first few days then it wouldn't switch on after that so it ended up in the bin.

TBH I find that hard to believe, IKEA lamps are great quality. Did you out a non dimming bulb in to a dimmer switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

ted1 wrote: »
    TBH I find that hard to believe, IKEA lamps are great quality. Did you out a non dimming bulb in to a dimmer switch?

The ikea bulbs are pretty good but theres nithing surprising about a failure. One failure from a trial of one is meaningless.

Electroonic failures in general follow a bathtub curve so you get a lot of initial failures due to manufaturing or component defects that is why mission critical stuff is physically and thermally stress tested.

http://nomtbf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/800px-Bathtub_curve.svg_.png

Temperature accelerates failure tr core temperature of a gu10 in an enclosed fixture can easily exceed the safe temperature of its capacitors .

The ikea bulbs are pretty good but theres nithing surprising about a failure. One failure from a trial of one is meaningless.

Electroonic failures in general follow a bathtub curve so you get a lot of initial failures due to manufaturing or component defects that is why mission critical stuff is physically and thermally stress tested.

Temperature accelerates failure tr core temperature of a gu10 in an enclosed fixture can easily exceed the safe temperature of its capacitors .
    I know that but the poster was implying that in general they were poor quality which they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

jonosam wrote: »

We have ikea gu10 in shops and showrooms for almost 2 years. Probably about 200 in total.

Not one has blown yet and they are on 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jonosam got the tap end of the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭userduluth

looking for some GU10 day light cool white..do IKEA sell these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

userduluth wrote: »

No - best bet for "white" rather than warm white is a local electricl wholesales such as Kellihers, ECF, Eastern electrical etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

userduluth wrote: »

Don't think they do the cool white but the warm white led gu10 are €2.95 for 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Sono

Walter2016 wrote: »
    We have ikea gu10 in shops and showrooms for almost 2 years. Probably about 200 in total.

Not one has blown yet and they are on 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have approx 30 of these all over my house and I agree, have them in 6 months and they are excellent, dunno what the other poster is on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try Philips ones on Amazon, £3 each in multipack for gu10

TheDriver wrote: »
    Try Philips ones on Amazon, £3 each in multipack for gu10

Link ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »

Also you can't put LED's in old style dimmer switches. Old style dimmer switches don't typically support the low levels of wattage of LED bulbs. You typically need to replace old dimmer switches with modern LED compatible switches.

Advertisement